• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Glycol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Has anybody used Glycol in there loop? My friend said he is able to get me a gallon of this stuff and i was wondering if its better than Anit-Freeze as a Anti Corrodant (SP)?

Thanks
Archer

Glycol is used in most anti-freeze... the bad part of it is that is increases the viscosity (thickness) of the water, the good part is that it keeps growth and corrosion at bay. If you have all copper/brass in the system, I would use no more than 10%, with any aluminum I'd use close to 25% AF.

FWIW, there is ethylene glycol and propylene glycol.

Antifreeze (not all though) is basically EG with some other chemicals thrown in for use in automotive cooling (corrosion etc).

I would go with real antifreeze instead of just Glycol, its made to work with metal parts in a cooling system. Glycol is just a raw material (used for other things than antifreeze as well).

You still get all the benifits of anti growth, plus it's made to do what you want it to, and colored! :p

Lol colored, my HC caused my tubes to gunk up so all i see is this brown color, thats why im hoping to use some sort of anti-corrordant. I got a Copper HC and i think the CPU Block is copper its a Maze4? So would you use 10% anti-freeze, i got about 1/4 gallon water in the system, im going to messure it tomarrow.

Thanks
Archer

Back