• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I need to mod this antec case to fit 2 heater cores in?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
depends on the HC. if you use those stupid little kit 80mm rads, you could fit four in that case with little or no modification at all. I have a case ike thta, and i'm putting in a monster 12"X6" rad, and heavy modification is requred.

i believe that is exactly like the chieftec dragon full tower case. depending on ur heatercore you have options of placing it on the top where ull lose 2 drive bays sitting horizontal where it would harder to fill and bleed, or u can place it where ur drive bays are and lose those. or if smaller then it will fit on either one with minimal loss

there are pics floating around and i will find them

do not get that core..that core looks exaclty like the chevette heater core you can buy at an autostore for 18bucks, and with a little cutting of pipes and adding barbs you will be good to go.

also if ur gong to run 2 heatercores why not just get 1 large one..the 1977 bonnie core?

edit: forgot to say..are you going to buy a kit or do a DIY kit?

..im a noob with computers in gen let alone heater cores =p..no idea where to get the 1977 bonnie core.

Such a noob in fact I dont know what DIY is

autozone. $21. its huge :)

and i'm working on placing one with NO DRIVE BAY LOSS at all, in that kind of case.

Huge I will need to mod the case huge or just big but small enough to fit in the antec case huge? :p

hehe como on top of ur psu?? i wanna see this :D

Maze: if you read the water cooling stickies you will get a lot more info on water cooling and heatercores that will help you faster than we can type :D..shush you fast typers who want to annoy me :)

edit: Maze it depends on what core you want to buy and where you want to place it. the core hes talking about is huge :D

Your'e prolly better off with one large core rather than two smalller, but two will fit in nicely: slap one chevette core against each side (rather than the front) with a push or pull fan on each, your choice. You have to cut a hole in the mobo tray but it's easy. I have that case except with no window. I cut my own window it looks so ghetto.

No Drive Bay Loss?

Como said:
autozone. $21. its huge :)

and i'm working on placing one with NO DRIVE BAY LOSS at all, in that kind of case.

Let me know your game plan if you dont mind. I have the Chieftec Dragon full tower, and want to run the Bonnville core, but hate losing my drive bays. Have contemplated the horizontal mount on the top, but have heard the problems with bleeding the sucker.

okay, anyone with this style case, this isnt hard...

Look behind where your removable drive bays are...what do you see?

I saw a 6" gap between mobo and the front of my case, and a 2" gap between the mobo tray and the drive cages.
a gap that just happens to be a little bigger than 12", floor to the 5.25 cages.

theres no room for a shroud and fans, but you can use your existing case fans as intakes, and cut a hole in the side, and mount the rad in it, for exaust.

as far as i can tell i'm the first to think of this, and i personally think its a great idea. i'm about half done my WC setup, mostly i'm not done because of inferior parts due to no money...

Anyways the only problem is if you dont cut the pipes back far enough, tehy bend towards the front of the case, which makes uncool mounting.

oterh than that, put the pipes at the bottom and let the tanks rest on the lip that the other side rests on, and cut a hole in the mobo tray big enough for the fins.
Dont forget to cut one n the other door, too...or else the air will have towhere to go.
I'm also thinking of ways for a cool rad grill to keep the fins from getting any worse.

Como said:
okay, anyone with this style case, this isnt hard...

Look behind where your removable drive bays are...what do you see?

I saw a 6" gap between mobo and the front of my case, and a 2" gap between the mobo tray and the drive cages.
a gap that just happens to be a little bigger than 12", floor to the 5.25 cages.

theres no room for a shroud and fans, but you can use your existing case fans as intakes, and cut a hole in the side, and mount the rad in it, for exaust.

as far as i can tell i'm the first to think of this, and i personally think its a great idea. i'm about half done my WC setup, mostly i'm not done because of inferior parts due to no money...

Anyways the only problem is if you dont cut the pipes back far enough, tehy bend towards the front of the case, which makes uncool mounting.

oterh than that, put the pipes at the bottom and let the tanks rest on the lip that the other side rests on, and cut a hole in the mobo tray big enough for the fins.
Dont forget to cut one n the other door, too...or else the air will have towhere to go.
I'm also thinking of ways for a cool rad grill to keep the fins from getting any worse.

Wait so are you talking about mounting it with the fins exhausting air out of the side. Because if you are, mounting it w/o a shourd and fan cannot possibly be a good idea. I'm very much doubt the intake fans an a 90 degree angle with no shroud will provide you with enough cooling. Hmm..this is a good thread since alot of people have that case or one of its various iterations. I'm working on a dual raddie project. I'll keet you all posted

em00guy said:
Wait so are you talking about mounting it with the fins exhausting air out of the side. Because if you are, mounting it w/o a shourd and fan cannot possibly be a good idea. I'm very much doubt the intake fans an a 90 degree angle with no shroud will provide you with enough cooling. Hmm..this is a good thread since alot of people have that case or one of its various iterations. I'm working on a dual raddie project. I'll keet you all posted

I saw something similar a little earlier, but it was mounted sideways in the front of the case, and air was moving left to right, not through the front bezel. It was sealed off, so it basically like in a tunnel. Had fans on each side of the case.

2Busy said:
I saw something similar a little earlier, but it was mounted sideways in the front of the case, and air was moving left to right, not through the front bezel. It was sealed off, so it basically like in a tunnel. Had fans on each side of the case.

yeah i saw that one. thats what i'm gonna do. exept with 2-342 radiators.

no, my idea is to have all the case fans used as intake, front, rear, side panel, and maybe bottom. ( i dont have side or bottom ones yet) all at 7V, and the resulting high pressure in the case will all be forced to go to the only exit....the rad.
And of course the psu, unless i make that intake, but it creates too much heat.

i think it will work well enough, my psu doesnt draw thaqt much air, one of my 7V 80mm's would take care of it...that leaves 3 still blowing in, and when i mod my video cooling (i cant afford any more parts so i have to use what i have) i'll be mounting a 92nn (or two) in the side to blow on my video, probably also at 7V.

And when i have money, i'm looking to put the feet back on, upgrade the side fans to 120's, and put 2 120's in the bottom of the case.

positive pressure will be more than enough to cool this rad, and that air is spread out well.

If the intake fans on the front become a problem, its as simple as removing them and putting them somewhere else, but i dont think they will be.

Back