• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oops, video card caught fire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CAPiTA

I knew something would go wrong, but I'm glad it was that. Normally, I would be pretty angry but it was just a 7500; a replacement card until my 9800 returns since I returned it.

I was testing out my new setup. I was filling the thing at the time through my bay res. As I was tilting the computer, water escaped and ran into the cloth that was there just incase water managed to leak. The only problem was that the water mangaged to get by without me knowing it. A couple of minutes later I turned the computer on. Everything was fine but then I noticed a weird noise. I thought it was coming from the PSU's fan. It sounded as if there was a piece of metal stuck in the fan. I knew that noise from somewhere, but I couldn't remember where. A few seconds later and there was this sparking noise and then smoke. I freaked out and thought I had just fried my power supply. I searched the case for any water but I couldn't find any. I turned the computer on again. I was pretty sure the PSU was fine.

Five seconds later I see it and then smell it. There is a fire on top of my video card. WTF. I laughed but then quickly turned the computer off to remove my Audigy; the graphics card can go but that has to stay. I was pretty sure the card was dead so worrying wasn't going to do anything. The water only landed (thankfully) on the 7500.

It was pretty cool at the time, so I got my camera out. Unfortunatly, the video I took was just a small sparking. Nothing like the 1.5" fire that was there before

I guess I've learned my lesson: Bay reservoirs are lousy and so is water. :\

You're probably thinking that I'm crazy for turning the computer on. Well so do I. :)

Oh I have some pictures of the aftermath

glad you diddnt lose anything important, i think i'll be using an old pci video card for my first few weeks with water now...heh.

HiProfile said:
:eh?: LOL

Makes you wonder what his 9800 was returned for...j/k ;)

good point haha... good story good it happened while you were around or you may have been homeless

Back