• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much for an engineering student's laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

I am a pre-engineering student at OSU, and I have the below laptop, though only one GB of ram (1x igb). Should I get the other, or will just one be enough to run literally anything I have? i do divx, lots of mp3 encoding, running windows xp pro of course, and I generally do multi task. Is there anything that MIGHT mean i will need that 2nd stick of memory?

Depends how large the work files for the divx are. Do you ever run low on resources or hit the page file frequently when divx'ing?

I would think 1GB would be enough, unless, as mentioned, windows is dipping into the page file a lot.

Well, I ran photoshop cs on it and got it to use up 800mb of it. And lets not make divx a criteria. I think I will stick with 1x1gb for now and upgrade later if i see a need. the way i go through computers there is no telling what i will have in a year or two.

Back