• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP-2 Destroyed my O/S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
Just curious how many people with XP that installed the SP-2 endeed up with a dead o/s ?

I sure did..Thak god for the images I stored after I set up my drive......
Grrrrrr :bang head

Someone else just posted about this in the past day... He wasn't clear at first about what caused his problem, as he mentioned that he also installed the beta version, but he later explained that he put sp2 on a fresh install and it killed it.

I just installed and I'm afraid to restart. :D J/K, be back in a minute... If not, put out an APB.

and this why you wait till it hits windows update :)

Also wait a few weeks to see what problems other people have

If your computer works fine - why fix it? :)

I am running the beta version and it didn't kill my OS. Although maybe its because I downloaded an older version of the beta perhaps?

all these horror stories are making me lean more and more towards Mr.Guvernments thinking. Wait till its on Windows Update. Am I correct in thinking that its still with the OEMS. The one thing that bothered me with the network install was that it said not to install if only installing on a single computer. So I didn't And I agree with this
If your computer works fine - why fix it?
I have way too much installed and I don't know how to make a hd image on my spare harddrive to even attempt it. If someone wants to PM how to do it feel free, but right now I'll stick with the beta

This is a pretty safe way to go about it, and was the de facto way of approaching SP1.

If you already have a windows install that you are happy with, skip sp2 until it's time for a format + clean install.

If you are overdue for a format+clean install, or you really want sp2, then do a clean format, download the sp2 networkless install from microsoft.com, and install it IMMEDIATELY after booting into your windows install. DO NOT install any drivers or other software until sp2 is installed and you've rebooted.

I used this method with sp2, and it worked fine. Slipstreaming is also a very good idea.

^^^ exactly :) - i did not install SP1 for ages! and even then if i format a system with XP - i rearely install SP1 as my systems are protected with hardware firewalls and i use FireFox on most of them :)

my new quote for these SP2 issues

Not to be rude - but if you installed a "non" official patch - you should of expected what you got and should not in ANY way be mad @ MS for your issues.

It is not MS's fualt people can not wait for OFFICIAL LAUNCHES and jump the gun and download anything new with out checking it's source first.

Reading this post reminded me about an article I read awhile back. It made me think about it and when the full version of SP2 come out there might be a flurry of complaints, besides the "pre-release issues". Which are to be expected. Does MS still have the bug tracker thingy going?
Myself I am waiting for the official, even though I know my PC runs fine with SP2. I already tested it out and then ran my Drive Image 2002 afterwards. Got to love having a backup solution. In case of FUBAR, or to test out the latest trends. :D
Please don't take that I am accusing anyone of having pirated keys, I just found this tibit interesting.....
This time around Microsoft may have found a much more destructive way to get rid off Illegal copies of WindowsXp than Service Pack1. Users installing SP1 on illegal copies would simply get a 'This is a pirated copy' error message. But now Microsoft has armed itself with a huge list of illegal CD keys ensuring that SP2 does not install. CORRECTED: It has been rumoured that the boot sector of the OS would be modified rendering the OS unusable.

^^^ well good for MS - but this is likely to be as effective as their activation scheme - they had that system figured out and work arounds before XP was even out! i dont think SP2 will be any different - in fact i am sure if one uses the resouces on the net they could find a wealth of information on the systems used in SP2.

(mods please edit if this talk is too close to that of something "illegal")

This time around Microsoft may have found a much more destructive way to get rid off Illegal copies of WindowsXp than Service Pack1. Users installing SP1 on illegal copies would simply get a 'This is a pirated copy' error message. But now Microsoft has armed itself with a huge list of illegal CD keys ensuring that SP2 does not install. CORRECTED: It has been rumoured that the boot sector of the OS would be modified rendering the OS unusable.
I don't think MS would do something like that...do you know how many complaints they would get, and maybe even lawsuits they would end up in? For all the illegal CD keys there's got to be some users with an "illegal" key that purchased it legally. It's got to start somewhere.

No problems at all with SP2 RTM for me. Once I got the uxtheme.dll patch working everything's been totally fine. I did disable all the new firewall stuff though - I've been hearing about a lot of issues with it.

Enablingwolf said:
Reading this post reminded me about an article I read awhile back. It made me think about it and when the full version of SP2 come out there might be a flurry of complaints, besides the "pre-release issues". Which are to be expected. Does MS still have the bug tracker thingy going?
Myself I am waiting for the official, even though I know my PC runs fine with SP2. I already tested it out and then ran my Drive Image 2002 afterwards. Got to love having a backup solution. In case of FUBAR, or to test out the latest trends. :D
Please don't take that I am accusing anyone of having pirated keys, I just found this tibit interesting.....

This is incorrect AFAIK. A microsoft executive made the statement that the infamous key starting with fckgw will be restricted from SP2 but MANY OTHERS will be able to install the patch, and SP2 will be much more accessible to illegitimate versions of XP. They also stated that they believed the use of the fckgw key to be very limited, as most people have moved on to other keys or legitimate copies by now. Couldn't find the linkage yet, will link to source if possible.

EDITED for good reason.... :attn:

Back to POINT 1..Who installed SP-2 and ended up with a crippled O/S ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? OR a serious performance loss and or a handicapped computer lol..

Last edited:
Cripled? No. However I am getting a lot of CPU utilization when I shouldn't. Mediaplayer usually consumes <10% of my cpu time when I play movies or music, and after installing SP2, I noticed that it consumes 20-30% (leaving only 70? for folding, bah). Also, I am getting very high CPU utilization with explorer.exe, with approximately 5 second hangs when doing things which would previously be instantaneous. The glory of my raptor is being shat on by SP2, and I'm going to get to the bottom of it. :D

I'm going to be hunting through things and possibly re-tweaking my service configuration, as I expect something is there that wasn't previously that is causing these results. Let me know if you find anything which makes all of this go away - I'm going to be going through and disabling things one by one, and testing to see if any changes affect the issues I'm noticing.

Mr.Guvernment said:
Also wait a few weeks to see what problems other people have

If your computer works fine - why fix it? :)

That is fine advice. In fact, I always wait a good long time as well, lots of us do. However, we do need to let others take the time to find out what the problems are (and let M/S get the bug fixes out).

The fact is that in all the time that M/S has been doing the windows thing, they have probably never released anything that did not need to be substantially fixed shortly thereafter. Sure, the new stuff does prove worthwhile in the long run but they usually break something in the process.

However, that is not the topic of this thread. Those of us who prefer to let the explorers pave the way for us are not going to have a paved path to walk down for a few weeks at best. Even then, M/S is not reading this thread and could care less about its existence. When we do decide to take the SP/2 plunge, we are going to depend on the other forum members who covered this material ahead of us to help us with whatever comes up when the time comes for each of us.

Well, I installed the official version (from here), and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I haven't taken the time to notice CPU utilization, but I haven't seen anything leap out at me as a problem. (*edit* I'm playing a highest-quality, variable bitrate WMA file with 1-2% utilization. */edit*) My C++ compiler (mingw) still works fine, Matlab is fine, WinSCP and Putty (SSH client) are fine, and home-compiled programs still work, so it seems successful to me.

When I installed, it did save uninstall information on SP2, and I also created a restore point manually just before the install. Did these beta version not offer that?

Also, could you please describe your particular problems in greater detail? Perhaps they can be solved. Thanks -- Paul

Last edited:
I lost explorer..It gave me a DLL error and refused to boot to windows or allow a system restore ...

Youch! Was this beta or official? Perhaps your explorer was modified prior to the SP2 upgrade? Did you have any shell extensions, etc? Windows Shades? (Or some other windows skinning) Did you have any nasty spyware / malware that may have damaged your Windows installation prior to SP2?

I'm really sorry to hear about that. It would be good to know as much about your system prior to SP2 as possible. I'm not sure if it's possible to repair your system, but you might try a repair installation with your original XP media. We can then go from there. -- Paul

macklin01 said:
Youch! Was this beta or official? Perhaps your explorer was modified prior to the SP2 upgrade? Did you have any shell extensions, etc? Windows Shades? (Or some other windows skinning) Did you have any nasty spyware / malware that may have damaged your Windows installation prior to SP2?

I'm really sorry to hear about that. It would be good to know as much about your system prior to SP2 as possible. I'm not sure if it's possible to repair your system, but you might try a repair installation with your original XP media. We can then go from there. -- Paul

I tried it was dead..SO i did a reimaging of the drive

I have the official SP2 as downloaded from the MS site last night sitting on my desktop right now. My install has been on for well over a year now which is a record for me, i'l probably have a pop at it, but I will be watching this thread before I do so to see more input on it. :)

-Chris

Back