• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP2 and antivirus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

legendary

I just downloaded and installed SP2 for Windows XP Pro and noticed it had an antivirus option. I don't know how to disable the antivirus option. I already tried searching and didn't find anything since I'm already running an antivirus program (McAfee VirusScan). Is it safe to just leave the antivirus feature in SP2 enabled along with VirusScan?

I got McAfee Virus Scan too and I am currently downloading SP2, I dont see any problem why they both wont run fine. There should not be any conflict between the two programs.

I hope it doesn't cause a conflict. I have seen AV programs conflict so bad that the computer would not even start in safe mode. I had to boot into knoppix and move one of the AV directories then boot then move it back and uninstall. It was a pain to figure out the problem.

Unless it's changed since the late beta I've been running for a couple months the SP doesn't actually have an AV program included, it simply checks to see if one is currently installed and up to date. It doesn't get along well with Norton AV on my system but it has a love affair with the Panda. I know not how well it works with McAfee. If it continues to nag at you then just go to the control panel, open up security options...recommendations under Virus Protection and check the box "mind yer own biz"(or something like that) and it'll shut up about it.

The real conflicts with the service pack(at least for me) were with the included firewall and Norton Internet Security. They don't like each other much, but once again it's Panda bear to the rescue!

I've seen that too Kendan. Norton and Panda for instance fight like wildcats!

It works fine with McAfee. The security center just tells you if you have an AV program or if its disabled or whatever. I finally shut down the service for the security center to stop it nagging.

securitycenter.gif

That's how my Security Center control panel looks like. Is that where the option to disable virus protection supposed to be? I don't see where it can be disabled.

legendary said:
securitycenter.gif

That's how my Security Center control panel looks like. Is that where the option to disable virus protection supposed to be? I don't see where it can be disabled.

On the left pane, the last line about how it informs, you can click that and then uncheck virus scan or you can go into services and disable the security center altogether.

I installed the SP-2 and all the features I had installed were not mirrored by the service pack. It was relatively painless. BTW I am using Mcafee SC 2004.
Norton is an good product if you use it by itself... add something else and it will give arguments.

You needn't disable all of security center's "features" if it's just the AV that's causing nagging though. Under recommendations should be an option to tell windows you'll monitor virus protection yourself. You'd think MS wouldv'e made certain it worked properly with Norton & McAfee which are afterall the 2 most popular virus killers. Instead Panda works perfectly...go figure.

SP2 does not come with virus protection, it just reports if you have virus protection installed, for select antivirus applications. This feature is part of security center.

There is a rumor that MS is about to get into the AV business though, which makes you think a little bit about which AV products work with their new features and which do not. They are walking a fine line if and when they bring their product to market, if the AV warning feature of SP2 does not work with the competition.

AEsnowboarding said:
I noticed that sp2 says Norton is not running. Hopefully symantec updates it so it is fixed. They said the update would be out yesterday but Live update doesn't get it yet.

There is a fix. You just have to run live update. You may need to run it a few times since some time it needs something else to beinstalled first from live update then go though and installed the stuff rest. After I ran live update and rebooted Nortain pop up a list of question dealing with nortain firewall asking me if I wanted to make it default (which I did and that turned off the windows crap one also windows saw the nortain firewall so it was happy).

Also on the Nortain AV it ask me if I want to keep allow the computer to see it statics (which I said no 2) but after I did that everything went green in the secuirty center minus the windows up dates whichs is set to tell me when updates are out

Norton released a fix this morning on liveupdate to fix the sp2 problem. I have it and Norton is reporting just fine to security center.

-d

SP2 and mcafee work fine... I've had sp2 installed for 3 days now(whoo hoo) and it's still working, saying that the last beta versions totally killed my machine, I downloaded the one from the ms site and so far (touch wood) it's still working

Back