• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black Death revisited

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seaborn

Well I am still hacking away. I took apart the pump only to find it has one moving part. There is a small silver spot on the black plastic impeller that appears to be some sort of paint...that wont come off. On the metal part there is no wear.

MVC-325S1.jpg

Here is another of the impeller.

MVC-324S2.jpg

Now here is a closer look at the black death itself. It has a dark metallic look to it. The texture is like thermal paste ( like the stock stuff that comes on a cpu heatsink) and when you smear it between your fingers its hard to wash off.
MVC-328S3.jpg

MVC-329S4.jpg

Here is my biggest worry(other than this stuff taking over the world), it seems to have made the insid eof my cpu block blackish in color. How do I clean that out. The bottom picture is of the NB block that was in the same loop and it has not changed color at all.
MVC-333S5.jpg

MVC-332S6.jpg

I am flushing it again now. And the story continues.....
Thanks for any pointers.....again

I would definatly unscreew the poly top on your blocks and clean out the inside of your blocks. I new that stuff was taking over. I better get my anti black dead spray and keep it close. I would definatly consider getting a new pump. It seems like the culprit if you ask me.

sounds like iether grease or some sorf of worn odd stuff from the pump...check the other side of the contact point...i'll get the torches.

update

Well I just got to the res and was going to wipe it down to look new again and then.......OH NO

its ruined. The black death eats metal, aluminum at least.
This won't clean off. I called frozencpu.com to find out WTF. I got the "well i don't know what to tell you". So now the black death has etched the caps on my res which makes it look like sh*t. Wonderful. Oh yea, its the dangerden D4 pump

MVC-334S.jpg

eeeeee its probably some kind of corrosion or acidic chemical reaction. Hmm makes me think twice about getting that pump now.

here is the inside of the rbx after I dryed it with an air hose. Just remember all I used was distilled water.

MVC-335S.jpg

well I am sending this pump back. it seems as though i keep spending money on this project. What pump should I get, I want a good one. I'm not waiting for the below scenario.

Oh yea, when I called up to return the pump...I was given these instructions, Send it back, we'll look at it, and if we see something wrong we'll send out another. Great...well Ill see the new pump in about 5 weeks....maybe. Then again, maybe they wont SEE anything wrong with it and send the same one back to me.

I dont think it is the pump! The impeller of the pump doesnt touch anything, it floats. Seems to me like it is sediment in the rad? What water did you use? The corrosion on that aluminum could be the cause too. I'd bet almost anything it is NOT the pump.

nikhsub1 said:
I dont think it is the pump! The impeller of the pump doesnt touch anything, it floats. Seems to me like it is sediment in the rad? What water did you use? The corrosion on that aluminum could be the cause too. I'd bet almost anything it is NOT the pump.

All I used was distilled water. Im sending back the pump cause I hooked the pump up independantly and still got black death coming out of it.

As for the CPU block what should i use to clean it. And I wonder wht the other block didnt get the same discoloring.

yeah im thinkn its corrosion too. Plain distilled water in a mixed metal setup is a no no.

seaborn said:
All I used was distilled water. Im sending back the pump cause I hooked the pump up independantly and still got black death coming out of it.

As for the CPU block what should i use to clean it. And I wonder wht the other block didnt get the same discoloring.
All you used was distilled water? You do realize you have aluminum in your loop?

not the pump, period

you have iron 'filings' in your system - your system is contaminated
iron + alu = immediate cell corrosion - just what you saw

-> if you have alu why did you not use a corrosion inhibitor ?
whoever told you to use distilled water with alu parts was a fool

where are the iron filings coming from ?
I would scrap the rad, clean everything, AND use a corrosion inhibitor

-> any iron left in the system will go for the alu

I made the mistake of not using a corrosion inhibitor and i got the exact same weird black stuff cept it was only in my blocks, i had to air spray it all out use some acid to clean it and such, my BIX radiator decided to have battle with my copper waterblocks... and my rad was winning luckily i noticed after only having my system up for bout 10 days so no real permanent damage.

BillA said:
not the pump, period

you have iron 'filings' in your system - your system is contaminated
iron + alu = immediate cell corrosion - just what you saw

-> if you have alu why did you not use a corrosion inhibitor ?
whoever told you to use distilled water with alu parts was a fool

where are the iron filings coming from ?
I would scrap the rad, clean everything, AND use a corrosion inhibitor

-> any iron left in the system will go for the alu

all this is from just doing the test set up. what sort of corrosion inhibitor should I use? I would scrape the rad(s) but all this stuff is brand new. Heres the list: DD 120 rad, DD dual 80 rad, DD RBX, DD maze4, DD D4 pump, and the acrylic res with the alum end caps. That all of it. It was the vendor, frozencpu, who said to use distilled water. Whats the right mixture to use? I have no idea where the filings are coming from. I guess ill have to figure another way to cap the res or something because that was the center piece to see through the window. Thanks for your input.

toorude said:
I made the mistake of not using a corrosion inhibitor and i got the exact same weird black stuff cept it was only in my blocks, i had to air spray it all out use some acid to clean it and such, my BIX radiator decided to have battle with my copper waterblocks... and my rad was winning luckily i noticed after only having my system up for bout 10 days so no real permanent damage.

What did you do to with the BIX 'cause that is what im using. DOes the corrosion inhib allow the use of them together. I thought I did all the research i needed to do but obviously not. Pretty dishearting after all the money spent.

My guess is the filings are just small pieces wearing off from all over. Antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors in it, besides the glycol which just changes the freezing/boiling point.

Most common recommendation I have seen so far is 90% distilled water, 10% antifreeze. I did this mixture and have had no problems, then again it has only been a week and a half :p

Back