• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800-E : BIOS & post = wrong colors???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lapino

Very strange happening here. When I boot my Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, I get all wrong colors at POST and in BIOS. I have this with different videocards so that's not the problem;

Strange thing is, once past BIOS/POST, the pc works fine and there are no graphical glitches, reboots etc (nothing oc-ed)

Any1 know what could be causing this? Mind, bios&post screens are very readable, it's only the colours that are plain wrong (and they change with every boot) Also, when installing an OS like windowsXP, the DOS-screens are ok too, it's *ONLY* at boot/post/bios

I've had the same thing happened to me....sometimes you get discoloration on the asus logo and sometimes in the bios....but most of the times for me it just freezes at the asus logo screen....

Try to reflash your bios.........

Vflux

I tried reflashing the bios, but problem remains. What's even more weird, is that the mainboard now gives some kind of an audio error (I think it says "cpu fan failed" which can be correct, using watercooling) but the pc doesn't alway boot (sometimes locks up after that)

Once I *do* get inside winXP though, the pc is stable as could be.... Any ideas?

try checking ur connections again, ur cpu, water cooling... maybe something is just lose

checked and doublechecked, everything 'looks' ok. I'm a bit worried that there's something wrong with the AGP bus, because I get the distorted colors (to lesser extent) on a Matrox G400 too and pc showed all graphical errors/stripes when playing Doom3 and then locked up

wild guess, but could a faulty PSU cause this behaviour? (not feeding enough current to the AGP port?). I ask because my Zalman 400watt has been acting kinda strange on my other pc too when I tried it there (generated weird ticking, was NOT the fan touching something). So maybe the Zalman is dying and causing the problems.

Sounds like a hardware issue...

Have you tried booting with a minimal system? When I can't find the individual faulty piece of hardware, I start by taking every peripheral and drive out, except for the video card. If you boot fine with that then you have a peripheral causing conflicts. If not something larger's happening.

Back