• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PLEASE HELP! Is this normal for Mushkin Level2 3200 @ 2-2-2-11? Weird memory errors..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xdrive

PLEASE HELP! Is this normal for Mushkin Level2 3200 @ 2-2-2-11? Weird memory errors..

I bought this memory refurb from newegg - 2x256 and I only have until the day after tomorrow (Fri) to RMA it if it's bad. Here's the dilly.

AthlonXP M-2600+
NF7-S
Raidmax 420w PSU (working on getting a better one)
SLK900a w/Vantec Tornado 92mm (noisy as hell)

I've been gradually OCing this stuff to see where I can do a burn-in. I can only seem to get it to 210fsb @ 2-2-2-11 stable, but now it's not so stable. Here's the settings:

210fsb x 11.5multi
2-2-2-11
6/6 ratio
vcore: 1.7
vdimm: 2.6

I have been running that config for a couple days just fine, then all of a suddon, a 56 player game of UT2004 crashed to windows on me. Now here's the weird part: I rebooted and ran Memtest-86 test #5 looping for SEVEN AND A HALF HOURS - no errors whatsoever. So I thought the whole crashing thing was just a fluke, but decided to try to Prime it. Prime95 caught a fatal error right away and halted the test.

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999980927, expected less than 0.4

I tried priming again and then also right away I got:

FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 1.194950137610651e+017, expected (some other long jumbly number that was very similar).

So I don't get how Memtest can run for almost 8 hours on Test 5 without errors, and Prime kick my butt right away?

Could I please get any advice as to what I should try doing to remedy this? I need to know if my memory's bad, 'cause I only have a couple more days (literally) to return it if so. Does this seem to be the normal performance for Mushkin Level2 running at those settings?

Also, should I relax my timings and try to climb for a higher fsb? Sandra says I'm fsb limited, but I'm almost scared to do so with these errors. On the plus side, my temps are really good (since the case is open) never gets over 40 at load.

I really appreciate the help! I'm a n00b at this and don't want to end up screwed. :(

6/6 ratio? You want that to be at 1:1 for starters.

I would try lowering your multiplier & or increasing your vcore & vdimm if you can.

Your 6:6 ratio is probably the problem though.

All memory OC's differently & there really are no gurantees. Try the memory at 200 mhz with a 1:1 ratio & at the rated timings. If it passes then there is no reason for an RMA. Kind of sounds like the memory is passing at even higher speeds.

Hmm... I couldn't find a 1:1 ratio setting available in my bios. There was 3:3 - that was the lowest it had... then all the way up to 6:6 then after that the option "auto" - is auto the same as 1:1? I'm trying that out right now...

And also, if that works out fine... to OC it beyond 210 - would I just raise the timings bit by bit to push the fsb further than 210? I'm still fsb limited according to sandra...

It shouldnt matter if it is at 3:3, 6:6, or any other x:x, because any of those still come out to be the same ratio = 1:1. Usually a rounding error is a processor problem. I would raise the vcore a bit and see if it helps.

It could be your chipset crapping out on you, it is a hit and miss with the nf7-s. You can try a bios with cpc off. Other than that I don't know.

6/6 ratio? You want that to be at 1:1 for starters.

I would try lowering your multiplier & or increasing your vcore & vdimm if you can.

Your 6:6 ratio is probably the problem though.
It's a fraction. 6:6 = 5:5 = 1:1. Shouldn't make much of a diff. But yes, upping the voltage to 2.9v is a must. You're not going to get very far otherwise. Also, remember that these are from the refurbs, and quite possibly were returned for a reason.

It's a fraction. 6:6 = 5:5 = 1:1. Shouldn't make much of a diff

I was at work as I am now, always in a hurry & constantly being watched, wasn't thinkin right......

Back