• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well got my second OCZ DDR Booster and LED isn't working...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shootingblanks

Ordered my first booster at SVC.com and when I recieved it the package looked like it was opened before. I have OCZ 3700 Gold Rev.2 memory sticks occupying slots 1 and 3 on an Asus P4C800 e deluxe motherboard, and I inserted the booster in slot 4 on my motherboard. The 4-pin yellow and blue colored molex connectors were connected appropriately on the yellow and blue colored sockets on the booster. Adjustment knob was turned all the way counter clockwise. When I powered up computer it posted but the yellow LEDs were not lit up. Double checked everything and did a reboot and nothing. LEDs seemed defective. Called OCZ to get an RMA.

OCZs customer support was helpful and I got my RMA today. Reinstalled everything appropriately, and this time the red LEDs only lit up for a brief sec when I hit the power on switch to my computer. The LEDs displayed 99 for this brief sec then the LED showed nothing. Computer posted and ran fine just couldnt read the voltage to the DDR booster was. Called OCZ support which suggested to try a recalibration due to shipping may have uncalibrated it. I tried to recalibrate the booster with no luck. Still only displayed 99 for a brief sec on initial boot then went dead. Computer still runs and operates fine. Anyone else had similar problems with the booster and if so what was the problem?

Well OCZ is great with customer support and responding to RMAs. Just not looking forward to a second RMA and the wait with shipping if it can be avoided.

If it was my booster, I wouldn't rma unless I tested it in more than one board. It may be some glitch with your specific board. I could be wrong though.

Please refer to the table below to determine motherboard compatibility with OCZ's DDR Booster:

Use of the DDR Booster with certain chipsets/motherboards may limit maximum DIMM population. DDR Booster does not function when powered by the Enermax EG425AX-VE, EG450AX-VE, EG375AX-VE Noisetaker series of power supplies. Power supply quality may affect DDR Booster performance and stability.

Looks like the powersupply isn't compatible. Can you test it out with another one?

mrspec3 said:
Looks like the powersupply isn't compatible. Can you test it out with another one?

This is an interesting point. I just RMA'd my booster because the display fluctuated wildly from between 2.7 and 9 volts on my P4P800 Deluxe after about 5 minutes of operation. I have an Enermax 365W power supply and now wonder if that isn't somehow related. the only other power supply I have is a 300W, so don't know if that would be enough to check it with.

BTW, the OCZ tech support was absolutely great about this RMA (thanks Andy!!!). Those guys made the difference in my decision whether or not to buy OCZ RAM instead of another brand when I bought my p4000 gold rev 2 this week.

I think the problem with those Enermax's is the fact they have no -12 and -5V rails. I read that somewhere but I'm not sure if it's true. I think the booster should still work, but the LED won't. If you can measure the vdimm from the board and try adjusting the vdimm with the booster....see if it works

Shootingblanks said:
well I remember reading the power supply list and mine wasnt the one listed here
http://www.ocztechnology.com/displaypage.php?name=DDRBoostermobocompatibility
But it looks like the Enermax 475P-VE is another model that doesnt work with the boosters:( Time to save up and get the pc power and cooling turbo cool 510 deluxe express powersupply:)

Is there any reasone why newegg doesnt carry those PC power and cooling PSU's? are they under a different name? I am looking to get a new one too :)

I will ask this question:

Is this the Overclockers' Forum or the Extreme High-End Forum?

But I will refrain from making any additional comments.

The DDR Booster works just great with our Powerstream PSU, which is a bit less expensive than the PC Power and Cooling.

:cool:

Liking the specs on that Powerstream 520W PSU. Looks like it has strong rails and adjustability for the 3.3v and 5v lines. That's always a plus when overclocking:)

Note if you have Enermax Noisetaker powersupplys that OCZ DDR Boosters may have compatibility issues. I have a Enermax 475P-VE powersupply that wasnt listed in the power supply compatibility issues section. It was recently discovered that these Enermax Noistaker series power supplys have compatibility issues with the boosters.

Reefa_Madness said:
I will ask this question:

Is this the Overclockers' Forum or the Extreme High-End Forum?

But I will refrain from making any additional comments.
i dont understand where your coming from and what prompted this post?

if you want the best,you buy the best.
if you want to save money you buy second best and make it better.
what they do or buy is noone but the buyers decision and its not my place to judge how they should spend their money.

if i could afford it id have the best of everything oc wise,but would i need to go to "Extreme High-End Forum"?
i dont want to make a big deal of it ,but that just rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't care where you or anyone else chooses to spend your money and I made no such judgement. I stated above that I would refrain from making additional comments, but now I will, in order to clarify where I'm coming from and what prompted my post.

I am old enough and have had enough life's experiences to KNOW (not just think) that being expensive and being the "best" don't always mean the same thing. My comment was prompted by the blanket statement "max performance run at 200bucks w ow!!! oh well, MUST (emphasis added) be really high quality". There was no other criteria used for establishing quality other than cost.

I happen to believe, from multiple reviews that I've read, that those psu are very good high end products, althought they have not always been selected as the best of the bunch, but this is not about these psu. To give something (anything) the label of being "max performance" and "high quality" based only on what it cost is what caused me to raise my eyebrows in curiosity. Make a determination of a product's quality based on all of the available information, just don't base it on how much someone charges you for it. It may very well be, that the best products cost more, if in fact, they are made with higher quality components which cost the manufacturer more to produce or are innovative and the idea behind the product justifies the premium placed on it (like the Booster, for example).

Just don't assume higher cost equals higher quality.

Not with your computer components, not with your car, not with your home, and not even with your girlfriend.

Guys,

I really don't want to start an issue here and in retrospect, I should have just kept my comments to myself.

Catalan said:
I always thought the point of OCing was getting high end performance without paying for high end equipment. -.-

it is also getting the most out of * any* equipment...... :)

well fellas getting back to the vdimm booster, i think it is a freakin miracle that this vdimm booster works on as many rigs as it does. AND only ocz would take the headache and the liability to put out something like this.. im really sorry for all the probs u have but this is big time performance aftermarket equipment that sometimes has probs with certain mbs' and ps supplies. ocz will get u straight...

Back