• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows setup from windows!! help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alien dork

windows setup from windows!! help!! SOLVED!!

PROBLEM SOLVED! thankx

hi guys i need some help.

problem: i tried to install a copy of windows xxx to a different drive while i was in windows xp. The setup got corrupted and everytime when i boot up it gives me the dual boot option asking me if i want to continue the setup or enter windows xxx.

solution wanted: I want that windows setup boot option to be removed from boot. i did a little bit of search online and it tells me to modify "c:\boot.ini". i tried to search for the whole computer found only boot.ini.bak (something like that). can soimeone please help me and tell me a way to get rid of the windows setup. is there any registry files that i can modify to get rid of that dual boot option? it is very annoying and everytime when it boots up it picked the windows xxx setup as the default with 3 seconds to choose boot. help!!!

Last edited:
Press windows+break.

Click on the advanced tab.

Click on startup and recovery settings.

Click on the button that says edit.

Boot.ini will launch within notepad.

Edit out the reference you do not want.

Lemme know if you need help. :D

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

this is all it says, it doesn't say anything about the installation boot. and is "/NoExecute=OptIn" a SP2 thing? i didn't notice it in sp1a.

thanks guys its fixed. the problem is when i used "msconfig" it only showed one entry, an when i died the way IMOG said, it showed 2 entries so i just manually deleted the other one. thanks

Back