• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

high speed vs tight timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pauly-

Registered
k so right now i got 2 choices of memory modules:

Corsair Twinx dual 1024-3200 XL PRO
2-2-2-5 @ 400mhz

Corsair Twinx dual 1024-4000
3-4-4-8 @ 500mhz

i'm buying a new computer and i expect to run it around 250fsb

would i be better off with the better timing with a 5:4 ratio or the higher speed 1:1 with the worst timing ?

i've read many reviews and opinions seem really split
what do YOU think ?

P.S. The PC3200 XL Pro modules can go up to 500mhz with the worst timings so this seems the better choice since i could experiment with both options of speed or timings

The "blue" system in my signature was used for the testing running a 2.4C at 278 FSB.

Sandra 2003 buffered memory bandwidth benchmark

Test 1: 2X512 Mushkin PC3500 level 2, 5:4 ratio, timing=2,3,2,5, Sandra memory bandwidth=6055/6054

Test 2: 2X512 Hyperram PC4200, 1:1 ratio, timing=3,4,4,7, Sandra memory bandwidth=6575/6574

Intel based machines are less sensitive to timings, i.e. go for speed.

AMD XP based machines using the nForce2 are more sensitive to timings than Intel machines but less sensitive than previous chipsets used on AMD cpu boards.

Thus I would go with speed if I were to buy memory today. It fits the trends we see for either cpu manufacturer's chip. Plus memory with tight timings at any reasonable speed is less available these days. :burn:

I have adata PC4000
and they are running fine at 2-3-2-10 @ 200MHz FSB, as far as I know, they do 2.5-3-3-x up tp 225-235 MHz and for 250MHz thy do 2.5-4-3-x.. didn't try it yet, but should be fine. Considering, that they're almost 50% cheaper than other modules... :thup:
;)

batboy's numbers up above are real system testing and can be relied upon to be valid of results at high fsb. My understanding is that the point at which high fsb starts to win out is around 260-265. Below that (like the 250 you are planning on), the faster timings seems to win out and above it (like batboy's 278), faster fsb wins out.

On your system, I believe that the fast timings would be better overall, and as you stated, with the ram using the new Samsung chips, you can almost have the best of both worlds. I would ask you though, do you really need LED lights on your ram. You can save a little money if you blow off the "Pro" version. Also look at the OCZ version of this ram, if you haven't done so already.

You may have already seen this review, but if not, it is good reading and current.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2145

you asked for it:
athlon xp-m 2600+
int float
at 11*200 2-3-2-10: 3101MB/s 2920MB/s
at 10,5*210 2.5-3-3-11: 3212MB/s 2985MB/s

10MHz higher FSB is better than tight timings.
But you should take them ram that has the best price/performance value.
The adata was just cheaper ( 220€, while other brands start at 300€ for 2*512).
And if price doesn't mean a thing, ocz or corsair are of course better.

edit: oh and it would be important to know which cpu you want to get.
I thought it was a athlon xp, but now I see, that you've never said anything about this.

@ Lifthanger: I live in Quebec and i cant seem to find Adata Memory in Canada

@ Reefa Madness: Thx for the input i think im gonna go for the good timings with 4:5. the pro version has bigger heatspreader i was wondering about the effectiveness of those. True i comes more expensive, but if i decide to go for speed with this ram and run it 1:1 @ 500mhz then i could run into problems if its not cooled properly

gonna read the OCZ review you posted too and chosse the best ram with 2-2-2-5 timings @ 400mhz
(though i fear i cant get this OCZ memory in Canada yet, while i could get the Corsair XL Pro for 430 CDN$)

Pauly, my Corsair XL will run 2-2-2-5 @ 400MHz, or 2.5-3-3-7 @ 500MHz. I like this Corsair myself just because it's so flexible. I would like some memory that will push DDR600 consistantly, but I don't think we're going to see it anytime soon..

Lifthanger said:
edit: oh and it would be important to know which cpu you want to get.
I thought it was a athlon xp, but now I see, that you've never said anything about this.

You are right, he didn't say, but since he was asking about 250 fsb and 5:4 memory dividers, it appeared to be an Intel rig he was putting together.

@ Reefa Madness: Wow thanks for this incredible review http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2145

looks like ill be getting some crucial ballistix instead, they are cheaper thant the corsair and are the best performing modules for the clock range i intend to use (DDR400-DDR500) i will probably be running this beast of ram @ 500mhz with 2.5-2-2-5 timings

i recommend this review to anyone who intends to buy low timings DDR400 memory

i hope im making the right choice

Pauly- said:
@ Reefa Madness: Wow thanks for this incredible review http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2145

looks like ill be getting some crucial ballistix instead, they are cheaper thant the corsair and are the best performing modules for the clock range i intend to use (DDR400-DDR500) i will probably be running this beast of ram @ 500mhz with 2.5-2-2-5 timings

i recommend this review to anyone who intends to buy low timings DDR400 memory

i hope im making the right choice

May I throw out a word (or two) of caution. There are a couple of threads in this forum, plus some of the others, such as PCPerspective on the Ballistix. Read the threads in order to see what real people are getting from sticks purchased on the street, vs ram sent to reviewers. If after all that, you still decide it is best for you, then you will be making an informed choice. There is a lot to be said for the Samsung based Corsair, OCZ and Kingston ram. These chips are performing well on ram produced by various manufacturers. This is a statement, I believe, to their performance prowness. They are good chips and work well on a variety of implementations. They may not have come out the best in the review, but they sure were bunched up near the top.

I will state, for the record, that I have struggled with Micron 46V32M8 Rev. C based ram recently, and am somewhat cautious about the Crucial because it uses basically the same chips in the newer Rev. G (plus the Ballistix chip has been modded somewhat). The OCZ PC3700EB also uses the Micron (Rev C) chips (or at least the ram tested by Anandtech in their featured review of this ram not too long ago), so this chip has performed well in other applications. If you read the threads in this forum, you will also find people that have struggled with the EB series, so there are no guarantees there either. Real world experience doesn't always match the reviewer's results so just don't go right out and buy the Ballistix without doing a little more homework is all I am trying to say. You might come back to your same conclusion and that will be fine, but I would strongly suggest that you just read up a little more on the Ballistix before you make you final purchase decision.

Last edited:
what modules would YOU choose ?

i can even get corsair xl non-pro for cheaper than the ballistix

i agree i became a bit crazy after seeing this review... :-/

Back