• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! A leaking water block!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

litening

Registered
I got a X-aqua VGA water block from xoxide.com, and it is leaking. I was testing my computer (with distilled water and without power) when I noticed a small puddle forming on the bottom of my case. I could tell it was from the VGA water block becuase of the droppletts forming on it. I tried putting a lot of tefon tape on the thread and reattaching it, but it still leaks.

I am thinking of adding some cauking or something else to seal it shut. I was thinking about superglue or bathroom cauking. What would you guys recomend?

i recommend you send it back to xoxide and exchange it for another one, or a completely different block. Theres no reason to do all this work for something that should already be done for you - ensured that there are no leaks. That's the manufacturers job on something like a block, not yours.

Put your foot down! :clap:

Agreed, you definitely recieved defective product. I know you really want to put the system together, we all would, be patient and do the right thing. "not waste time or your rig"

It's just leaking near the threads, I don't believe there is anything wrong with the block. It came with the threads deatched, and where I screwed the fitting in, it leaked form there. I fergot to put in that, I had already ran it for 4 weeks without a problem, and I was performing another test after adding a chipset block, re-tefloning and screwing in the fittings for the VGA block, and filling the system again.

The part that is leaking doesn't touch the tubing. There are two fittings, like these, that connect to corrusponding holes in my water block, and it is leaking through the threads. I used a lot of teflon tape but it still leaks, so I am looking for a sealant I can use.

Hate to be the one to tell you this, but nearly every review of the X-aqua blocks I have seen ended in a wet motherboard/cpu/gpu. That's the reason why Xoxide is dumping them at such a low price.

Last edited:
Dude, use RTV sealant. Take those connectors off, clean them and the plexi entirely, and apply a thin layer of RTV to the threads and screw them on. Screw them on handtight, and then turn them another 1/4 turn (or less) with a wrench. Don't put them on too tight or you will crack something! Let it sit for 24 hours before you use it, and don't allow your hoses to turn or loosen the connectors when you install it in the system.

I had the same prob with my MCW5002s when I threw everything together to make sure the pump worked. Took off the barbs, wrapped em with teflon tape a good amount (until it was kind of hard to screw them on) and it solved my problem.

The only problem with teflon tape that I can think of is that you can crack plexi real easy with too much of it on the threads. RTV/silicone sealant will ooze out rather than apply unneeded pressure to high spots in the threads, plus, it seals with adhesion rather than force.

RTV isnt a good choice for those barbs, If you want to use a sealant, use marine GOOP or plumbers GOOP. I have gone through my share of tape, silicone, goop and all that. Goop sticks and doesnt come off, a lot of times silicone doesnt stick and gets lubey and the barbs turn out without a problem. teflon tape is usually your best bet, but if that doesnt work, GOOP is the next best thing(reason its not the best is because it can get messy.

JOn

Back