• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can new RAM make it run hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huneycutt

Copied this thread from another forum and wondering if anyone has any idea what's going on because I sure don't. Obviously not OC'ing because networked computer.

"I'm having a ram problem.
I just installed a brand new Kingston stick of ram in my home-built PC. The first time didn't work because it wasn't seated properly, so the new ram didn't register. I took it out and put it back in, properly this time, and everything posted fine, the initial ram check showed the extra memory, and Windows recognized that memory as well.

15 minutes later, I tried to access that PC from another PC on the network and it wasn't responding, so I went to see what was happening. The PC had seized up and nothing was responding. I turned it off and opened the case to inspect everything, and it felt really hot. I removed the new stick of ram, turned the PC back on, and it went back to normal, except CoolMon now showed that my CPU temp had reached 200 degrees F (GASP!). The CPU temp quickly went down to 120-130F (the usual temps) and the PC seems to be running normally now. What might have caused this?!?

PC spec: some mobo I can't remember the brand of (it has K7 in the model name, but it's not an MSI), AMD Athlon XP 2400+ with stock CPU fan and heatsink, 2 case fans, 1x512MB PC2700 DDR RAM in one slot. The culprit ram stick is a 256MB stick of DDR RAM made by Kingston. It's the right type for the slot."

Sounds like a short to me......make sure you did install the memory in the correct slots. I always seem to have memory issues with Athlons on the initial installations. You will need to try it again and watch the temps closely this time. Bad memory causes some weird, random, mind twisting games on you!

Back