• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My little OCZ booster FAQ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrspec3

I've seen lots of people who were confused as to how this works so I wrote this up. Hope it helps...and if you guys have more questions just ask and I'll try to answer/add them to the FAQ

OCZ vdimm booster FAQ

Q: What is it and what does it do?

A: The vdimm booster has three main features. They are vdimm adjustment, PowerClean Technology that provides smoother and cleaner power to the RAM and LED voltage readout. These three features are both what it is and what it does.

Q: How does it work?

A: The booster draws power from your computers main power supply through an ATX pass-through connector, which it then processes, and feeds to the memory. Since ram draws a great deal of current, you cannot just use to regular Molex connectors to power it. Once the voltage gets to the booster, it goes through a number of components that limit the output voltage, clean up, and smooth the voltage. (Mosfets and the like) The voltage is fed through the teeth of the booster’s PCB into the dimm slot you have it in and power is distributed throughout all the dimms on the motherboard. This means you only need 1 booster for each motherboard.

A: Will it work on All motherboards?

Q:The simple answer is no. Not ever motherboard can use the vdimm booster and that is for many reasons. Some boards have OVP or OCP (over voltage/current protection) which will shut down the motherboard when a certain voltage/current level is reached. In this case, the booster will still work fine, but raising the vdimm past a certain point will shut the board off. Other boards can be damaged because of how they are set up in terms of voltage regulation and other things.

Your best bet is to check the OCZ website where they have a list of motherboards that are listed as compatible or not.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/displaypage.php?name=DDRBoostermobocompatibility

Q: A word about the Abit IC7 (max 2 and 3)

A: This motherboard does have a large design problem that keeps it from tracking VTT voltage properly. VTT voltage is supposed to stay at exactly ½ the supplied vdimm voltage. On these boards, it does not, so added vdimm can cause the motherboard to be more unstable. In this case, what you need to do is a VTT mod. This will allow you to raise the vdimm and still have VTT tracking properly.

Here is a good VTT mod with pictures by MADCAT
http://home.columbus.rr.com/jsemler/message-images/IC7-MAX3_VTT_Mod/Installation_Guide.htm
http://home.columbus.rr.com/jsemler/message-images/IC7-MAX3_VTT_Mod/Construction_Guide.htm

Q: Voltage, voltage and more voltage!!!

A: The vdimm booster allows up to a whopping 3.9Vdimm without mods. This amount of voltage is dangerous to any memory (yes even bh-5/6) so there are some things you should know. First off, running more voltage than your memory maker allows WILL void your warranty so do so at your own risk . But who is kidding who here? We all got this thing to shove voltage up our rams…well you know what. So since we now know everyone and their mother are running 3.6V into their memory do we need to worry? With some precautions and some common sense not really. Adding more voltage to memory will make it run hotter, and hotter electronics are unhappy electronics. (Read: unstable) To combat this we should run a simple low speed 80 or 92mm fan over our memory to keep it cool (read: happy)

Also remember that all memory IC’s respond differently to voltage and that throwing 3.9V into some pc2100 memory is not going to make it run at pc4000 speeds. Similarly, all IC’s can tolerate different levels of voltage and heat so make sure you aren’t pumping more voltage than your ram can take.

Q: My Booster fluctuates between idle and load, is this normal?

A: There are several causes for this, the two most prominent being Voltage and Amperage. When your system is at idle it is not consuming as much power as it would be at load. Due to the load placed on your power supply it may not be able to handle the current demands placed on it, which more often than not result in a voltage drop. The OCZ Booster is based on a linear voltage supply; fluctuations in the voltage supplied to it will result in the output voltage fluctuation. This issue can be resolved by compensating with a slightly higher voltage from the booster or a new power supply. The current load could also overload the wires supplying the booster if your system is highly overclocked and/or you have bad contact at any of the Molex connectors. This will result in heat and/or voltage fluctuations.

Q: Will the booster work in a DDR2, SDRAM or RAMBUS motherboard?

A: No!

Q: How many of these boosters do I need?

A: You only need one. Because the power is connected between the dimm slots on the motherboard, you only need one to power the rest.

Q: My LED screen says 100V what is going on?

A: Put down the BAWLS and step away from the booster. All kidding aside the booster may need some calibration when you get it. Different power supplies and motherboards will effect calibration. Read the manual that came with the booster for the proper tuning methods.

Don't have a booster but interesting info.

From the OCZ motherboard campatatbilty chart I noted that for the Abit NF7 series they indicate the booster must go in slot 3. As I remember slot 3 is a slot required for dual channel use. From the footnote it sounds like this may be the result of fitting the booster onto the board. Do you have any idea if that is correct or maybe a typo? Since the Abit NF7 board is one of those more frequently used by overclockers plus one needs a mod for more vdimm this restriction would be problemmatic for the booster. :cool:

Last edited:
Nice guide man.

I got the booster so I wouldn't have to solder my board, but it looks like I have to anyway. Jeez, this IC7-g is the biggest pain in the @SS for memory. I should have bought the Asus this go around.

deeppow said:
Don't have a booster but interesting info.

From the OCZ motherboard campatatbilty chart I noted that for the Abit NF7 series they indicate the booster must go in slot 3. As I remember slot 3 is a slot required for dual channel use. From the footnote it sounds like this may be the result of fitting the booster onto the board. Do you have any idea if that is correct or maybe a typo? Since the Abit NF7 board is one of those more frequently used by overclockers plus one needs a mod for more vdimm this restriction would be problemmatic for the booster. :cool:

Joe Camel modded one of the three small heatsinks on the Booster to allow it to fit in DIMM #1, instead of DIMM #3, in order to allow use of dual-channel and it appeared to work, however, he has had several other issues come up and I haven't followed up to see if either (a) they were or were not related to using DIMM #1 or (2) if they were related, has he been able to resolve them.

Even if the Booster doesn't work in dual channel on an NF7 without mods, it will work in single, so you might be able to get enough out of it to still make it worthwhile. Or just switch platforms and get an Asus, as they seem to like the Booster. :)

Based on what I've read over at XS, OCZ's slot 3 actually means slot 1 for the NF7. That's what I recall, anyway. I seem to remember that there may be some Vtt issues with the NF7, though.

Xtreme was wrong. OCZ means slot 1 as in closest to the CPU. The only reason OCZ says to put the booster in slot 3 is because a capacitor on the motherboard near slot 1 interferes with the heatsink next to the knob on the booster. The capacitor pushed the interfering heatsink on my booster out of the way. I recommend cutting the bottom fin off the heatsink though.

Other than the heatsink interfering, the booster has worked perfectly on my NF7. It didn't get me far without a vtt mod though. I'll have results after I do the mod. Also my booster's readout was off by .1 volt when I received it. It would be a good idea for anybody who buys a booster to calibrate it. Reading the RAM voltage with a multimeter is the best way. I would only calibrate the booster to a motherboard voltage sensor if the booster is really inaccurate.

yes vtt issues with the nf7-s

i hafta turn the booster all the way down ( basically not doing anything then) inorder to keep my system stable. its too bad really, im not using the thing at all... :(

perhaps i should sell it, you guys think that would be a good idea?

The booster helped me some. Maybe you should try a different bios. You can vtt mod your board, or send it to someone to get it modded. :D

Back