• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc my e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stabob

i have an e-machine :-/ there i admitted it. It has a intel d845epi motherboard with a 2.8 ghz celeron cpu is this board to big of a piece of crap to oc? i have anouther board on the way it is a ecs848p-a would this cpu work with this board it will support HT and was looking into a P4 but man they want a lot for those :cry:

Celerons usually overclock pretty well, from a pure mhz standpoint. The only problem is that even an overclocked celeron usually can't compete with a P4 of the same original speed (ie your 2.8ghz celeron at 3.5ghz would probably still lose to 2.8ghz P4 when gaming)

But hey, an overclocked celeron is still faster than a stock one ;)

Albuquerque, sorry for late reply. I downloaded pcwizard and according to it my cpu is hyperthreading capable but unfortunately does not mention the same for the stock board the new ecs board that is on the way is set up for ht support. Is it difficult to unlock this feature? :bang head Also I have a mismatch in my sdram the frequency is 133Mhz the stock stick has suppoerted freq. of 133 or 166 Mhz but the DIMM2 aftermarket stick is 100 or 166Mhz is there a way to increase freq to 166?

All P4-based CPU's report that they are hyperthreading capable; only certain ones actually have hyperthreading enabled and you can't do anything to unlock it. Only P4 "C" and "E" chips and the single 3.06 "B" chip were able to use hyperthreading. All others are capable but are completely disabled from Intel.

If you're using SDRAM, overclocking your processor really isn't going to release any huge newfound speed boost. Your computer is SORELY needing DDR memory; even without dual channel, a single stick of PC3200 memory would be around 8-12x faster than your current ram.

Most SDRAM benches out at about ~150mb/sec. A stick of PC3200 DDR ram benches out usually around ~1800mb/sec. You get the idea... You're much better off buying a DDR motherboard and at least one stick of DDR ram than crippling your system by keeping your old slow SDRAM.

not enough info on my part

I should have been more complete in my reply I have ddr sdram two 512mb pc2700 at 133Mhz since my last post I tried some of the software tweaks posted by termin@tor elseware on this site I had impressive results at first but then some instability in a lego program my daughter was running I lost an exe file that controled all of the program startups for my history kill, lego, spyhunter and a few more I also lost sound on everything. I cleaned out my files and reloaded windows and because I cant leave well enough alone I made anouther atempt. the second time I didnt change the LargeSystemCache and got excellent results
w2888 e-machine
2.8Ghz celron cpu
1 gig ddr sdram
2x 80g HDs
1 700mb HD it came from my first computer useless but fully operationally I keep a few pictures on it

With an inexpensive ECS motherboard, you'll probably be OK in getting some form of overclock out of your parts. That ram is going to limit you pretty hard; PC2700 can only do a max of 166 so you'll have to tweak on your ram settings to make sure they don't exceed that.

If I had to make a guess (and this is no way assured), I'd expect your little Celeron 2.8ghz chip is a 133FSB right now, so if you could get it stable at 166FSB, you'd be sitting with a 3.5ghz processor. I bet a free cup of coffee that your Celery can do that, but I'm not sure the rest of your parts will necessarily be able to keep up.

Good luck either way :)

Thanks for reply I am having dificulty loading xp OS on to new setup the only copy I have has a ghost config setup program on it and sets up the system configuratuion for windows like it was my e. All I get is a windows system config error and the board just restarts and tries to load again. I'm tring to find another copy of windows xp that does not cost an arm and a leg. Since I have this current box on xp in considering using knoppix on the new one so that I can a try linux based os.

Back