• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory for System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Catalan

Almost done upgrading my old computer that I'm giving to my sisters these are the current specs:

Antec SL-400 PSU
NF7-S v2.0
AMD XP T-Bred 1700+ JIUHB DLT3C
SLK-900A w/ TT SF II
Inno3D GeForce4 MX440 64MB -.-
Maxtor 30GB :x

They dont need much since they just use it for homework, aim, and downloading mp3's. I want to OC it for my own enjoyment before I give it to them and since bh-5 are sparse I'm looking for recommendations for memory. 2x256 or 1x512?

The NF7 would do better with 2 x 256 vs 1 x 512 because it would be operating in dual-channel mode. It is only about a 3%-5% performance boost by all accounts, but a boost never the less. If you think that you will later add more ram, for games and the likes, then you could always add a single stick, run it in one channel, with the 2 x 256 in the other and have a gig still running in dual channel mode. Just be sure to use something that you will later be able to match. Ram comes and goes and it is sometimes hard, even just six to nine months later, to find a match.

I figured such, but a lot of tests are now ran with 2x512 which is why I conidered it. I'm looking for something that will run atleast 2.5-2-2-11 200fsb since my current ram does so, but 2-2-2-11 200+fsb ram would be great. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Last edited:
No, the K2 in Kingston speak means a dual pack, or kit of 2.

This ram has interested me for a while, I always end up getting something else, then I will read another post where someone is using it and loving it and I keep going back and looking at it. I was actually in the process of buying it just a few minutes ago when I ran into password problems (remembering the password type of problem) so I am waiting to get a new one sent to me. According to the attached list, it came with BH-6 chips at one time. The question is what does it come with now? In the worse case, it will come with something like ch-5, ch-6 or samsung chips, all should be able to give you 200 at tight timings, so it should still meet your stated goals. Here is the link. If you are interested in it, consider sending a PM to the guy in the linked thread who alredy bought it and get his take on it. He would be the most recent purchaser that I know of. I might do the same myself before completing my order.

http://pub.lorenz.bei.t-online.de/winbondlist.htm

Another good option for you would be to wait until the KVR goes on sale at your local CC or BB. A 2 x 256 dual pack (which the NF7 loves) will run you about $80-$90, after MIR. If you can find the Micron chips with the 46V32M8 -5B C chips, these would be the ones to get. The Micron will run 200 at 2.5-2-2-11 without a problem. Kingston has done a good job implementing the Micron chips on the KVR, but they have become difficult to find.

Hope this helps.

lol, I've already gone on that hunt for Micron chips at local vendors with no luck T_T. I dont think memory sells much out here in vegas since I look about every week or so to see if they get any new shipments in and I always see the same things so yeah -.-. I was actually looking to buy buffalo pc3200 mT -5B G to see if they can perform similar to crucial's, but who knows

In my opinion, this is the product that has the best chance of being bh-5, although it might be the Kingston relabeled/rebranded. See the linked article for a discussion about this. Kingston bought special chips from Winbond are they are not branded as Winbond, but as Kington. The KHX PC3000 with Winbond chips should hit 220-230 at your board's default voltage.

I believe that this would be a better choice than the Micron PC3200, althought that ram is pretty decent as well and is just a little cheaper.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=402392

Directron might be one of the better places to get old stock KHX PC3000 as they probably didn't sell as much as other places. They are not focused on the overclockers' market, as a general rule. Old stock would have the best chance of being original branded Winbond ram, in my opinion. Good luck in your hunt.

Sorry about the multiple posts, which I deleted. From my end, it would not leave the Quick Reply screen, so I kept hitting the Post Quick Reply button. I was hung up for some reason and had to shut down. When I came back I saw that it has posted the same thing three times. Thank goodness for the Delete Post option. :)

Hmm, well I figured older = better chance, but I did not know that directron aren't focused on the oc market. So I'll order from there hopefully I dont damage anything upon removal of the heatspreaders T_T.

Please don't misunderstand my comment about Directron. I have purchased a bunch of stuff from there, but including an Antec 550W psu and ZIP drives and stuff, it is just that a place like newegg or zipzoomfly will carry more of the newer stuff before Directron stocks it. I think that they are more geared towards the system builder that needs quantities of items, which is why you always see them list quantity discounts, versus selling to the guy who is building his dream rig and is looking for the newest A64 cpu. It probably won't be available at Directron right away.

I don't misunderstand it at all and I agree that more popular places such as newegg and zzf would carry newer stuff before directron would, but it's good to know I have a better chance of receiving bh-5 from them than zzf. ^.^

er...sorry idk what you're trying to get at. Does that mean they have a better chance of bh-5 compared to directron?

Back