• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows sp slipstream + software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alien dork

i was just reading and testing slipstreaming windows sp2 into windows installation cd. i was wondering if it is possible to slipstream some of the programs into the Windows cd(ie. avg,mozilla,and games, etc), like the way dell, hp,etc people does it for their computers? anyone?

Yup, it's called an unattended installation. It can be a little complicated, but is really nice to have once you get all the demons straightened out :D. I'm not at home home right now, (maybe you should try googling) but I'll post a link when I get home if no one else beats me to it.

this is awsome :) i love you guys. you are saving me tons of time reloading windows (it also helps me at work a lot). I am currently trying it.

hours of work. sigh.. no successful story to tell you all.
i am goin to call it a night and start fresh tomorrow and see if i will have any luck. thanks you guys.

I used that guide, and made a disc that will install XP unattended, then install all of teh current windows updates after it reboots. It also sets a bunch of registry settings, and installs a few useful programs like Winrar, and a few others. Great Guide. It took about 4 hours to get it all to work right though.

i've been at it for hours. i guess i need few more hours of work to get it to work. i'll work on it when i get to work tomorrow and see if i can get it to work. the only thing is that my work place doesn't have a dvd burner, i guess i can use cdrw instead.

bchur83 said:
I used that guide, and made a disc that will install XP unattended, then install all of teh current windows updates after it reboots. It also sets a bunch of registry settings, and installs a few useful programs like Winrar, and a few others. Great Guide. It took about 4 hours to get it all to work right though.

i got a question, you know how step 1 you have to use the floppy to boot up. what about step 2? do u still use the floppy or does the CD use the copied winnt.sif file to do unattended installation? could you send me a copy of your $oem$ folder? please send it to "[email protected]". or if you are online tomorrow it would be great if you could send it via AIM (sn: zouhenry). thanks.

I find it easier to create an image of a workstation after all the apps that are most commonly used are installed. Much like the way large corporations deploy their OSes. One image will work on many different PC's if configured correctly.

I'm stuck on trying to get "install shield" apps to install unattended.

To test I've been;
running the setup.exe -R
I go in and get the setup.iss file and put it in the directory with the install file
then I uninstall the program
then when I install again using setup.exe -s it just thinks for a few seconds and then nothing. Program is not installed or anything.

Any help guys would be awesome. My MSI files work great, it these install shield apps that are holding me back.

shortyes said:
@!#$!@#@! 5 hours and it doesn't work!!!!!!!!11

it doesn't work? what part of it doesn't work? are you doing unattended part 1 or part 2? if you are doing part 2 you should do part one first and then do part 2. please be more specific.

btw. it is always good idea to try to run the unattended programs individually. Later on, i'll put up the the whole directory and the winnt.sif on a site.

JigPu said:

More on XP Unattended;

SP2 is slipstreamed exactly as done in the 2nd of the two articles (linked above). If you added in any HotFixes with your SP1a files, you can remove them, as SP2 includes all of them already.

The file size for the new SP is more than double the last one (125 to 266MB for the Network Install version). It's a good thing DVD burners are coming way down in price....if this pattern holds up, an Unattended disk w/ a future SP3 slipstreamed will not fit onto a CDR. :rolleyes:

*me shudders at the thought of a 400MB SP3 file* :eek:

Actually, it'll be interesting to see how MS themselves handles it. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to release XP w/ SP3 on DVD.

Mr B said:
an Unattended disk w/ a future SP3 slipstreamed will not fit onto a CDR
service pack 3? when is it coming out? before or after longhorn? if its coming out after longhorn, then forget it. i will have longhorn install on my computer instead of XP.

There is a whole forum dedicated to creating unattended installs at msfn (microsoft forum network). The forum url is: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php

As of right know, there are 5721 topics and 36970 in the unattended installs page.

It's a bit complex and takes some getting used to.

The msfn.org site is an amazing windows resourse.

Know Nuttin said:
I find it easier to create an image of a workstation after all the apps that are most commonly used are installed. Much like the way large corporations deploy their OSes. One image will work on many different PC's if configured correctly.

you are talking about network installation right? doesn't it require a server/client type of program? isn't it true that the image u create will only with with that specific hardware? its the same as if you remove your hard drive and place it in another computer. when u try to boot from that hard drive it will not work because the hardware are different.

alien dork said:
you are talking about network installation right? doesn't it require a server/client type of program? isn't it true that the image u create will only with with that specific hardware? its the same as if you remove your hard drive and place it in another computer. when u try to boot from that hard drive it will not work because the hardware are different.

That would work if the hardware in both pcs was identical. I would think that major corperations would have basicly identical hardware for most of there systems.

Back