• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4DIMMS on FX-53

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cuddles

I've been looking for memory, and have found that I want Crucual Ballistix (for great overclockability and super low timings). I'd like to get 2 gigs of it, and this ram is priced well enough so that two gigs (4x512) would be about $700 CDN.

Problem is, I've heard bad things about using all 4 DIMMS on the FX platform, since you have to run at higher latencies. How much are timings affected by running with all 4 DIMMs populated? I have no experience with this, so just looking for advice, help, and suggestions.

If I remember right, the command rate must be reduced from 1t to 2t with 4 dimms which in my opinion is quite significant. Personally I think 1 gig would be enough. The on-die memory controler of the A64 is very efficient but only when you are using 1t command rate. 1t is around 93 percent efficient for me, 2t is only 75. When I get some better ram I will be able to run it 1:1 with 1t.

I would get 1gig and use the money I save on other components. Of course, it is your money so whatever you do is up to you.

So with 2T timings, how much are they increased? Double?

If so, I guess I'll stick with a gig. Or maybe 2x1024 of 3-3-3-7. Stupid 2T command rate :mad:

What kind of video card are you getting? You can get a higher end card with the money you save getting just 1 gig and your video performance will benefit more that way. Otherwise if you must have 2 gig the 2 x 1024 sounds good.

x800XT PE for the video card.
I think I'll just get the Ballistix... guaranteed OC and fast timings... *shakes fist at 2T*

Back