• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Melted molex - MCW50T (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overbrazil

Hi, i am running my Radeon 9800 pro fine with a Swiftech mcw50T. I was checking the water stuff ,then i noticed the molex that feed the peltier is melted...
It is only a 80w pelt. Should i need to replace the molex or it is just fine ?
P1010120.JPG

melt.JPG

melted3.JPG

melted.JPG

thanks

by the looks of that id say you had an exposed wire, or you had too much going thru it...defininently insulate that exposed wire, temporarily, then replace that thing! get a stronger grade of wire just to be on the safe side.

i'm an electronics tech. maybe i can lend some info.
80W pelt... runs on 12V right? so yeah, at least 6amps of draw thru what looks like 14gauge wire...not good. bump up the wire size to at least a 12 or 10 (10 would definitely be good) and make sure you insulate the leads well in a new molex, good amount of solder on the pins. that should prevent a recurance :)

thanks, i dont know what happened, it is working great. What i know is that get very hot...
Cfn Nexus, the tec is rated at 12v. It draws 8A at the 12v line. I was running a dedicated psu , so the voltage over there was about 11.7
MadSkillzMan, i was thinking soldering the wires instead of using a molex...
Good idea ?

Attachments

• P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 247
Overbrazil said:
thanks, i dont know what happened, it is working great. What i know is that get very hot...
Cfn Nexus, the tec is rated at 12v. It draws 8A at the 12v line. I was running a dedicated psu , so the voltage over there was about 11.7
MadSkillzMan, i was thinking soldering the wires instead of using a molex...
Good idea ?
Yes but make sure that your solder joints are of good quality or they will melt, too. Use an Ohm meter to test your solder resistance -> should be as low as possible !!! Ah and get stronger wire, all around, if possible.

It should work, but its likely that the connection isnt very tight and the wires are probably crimped.

Cfn Nexus: those wires are suposed to handle it, they are tinned wich helps a ton, they do get warm, but shouldnt get that hot. 10 gage is way overboard, 10 gage is perfect for a 226 wich draws 18 amps at 12v.

Jon

Swiftech here
looks to me as if the crimp on the wire pins was not good (?) and in any case has high resistance causing everything to overheat

do not attempt to 'change' the TEC leads, they have teflon insulation and are superior to what you may use; note that big fat leads won't fit

if you wish to send it to Swiftech a new connector can be installed (RMA it)
or you can eliminate the Molex and solder the wires directly

Another idea, instead of simply crimping the molex pins, solder the wires in them.. Anyway i often saw bad molexes cause electrical trouble, as many have poor quality and pins have a lot of play in them.

Thanks for the tips. ok ,so to solder the wires i will have to find a good solder joint...
here is the card
gputec.jpg

frontgpu.jpg

Billa and JFettig, in the first picture we have the impression that was not very well tight, but for sure it was before i removed to see...
maybe a good option is to find a ceramic conection...

jsut cut out the molex and directly solder the wire. its always the best solution, only reason i dont do it doe every connection is because i redo my setup every few months..

Yea, solder it..but insulate it afterwards. I actually had a similar problem wiring my fans...i had to cut the little thing off because i didnt have the adaptors....i used some huge grade wire i found in the trash...soldered it, and insulated the heck outta with with electrical tape...no problems at all.

jsut cut out the molex and directly solder the wire. its always the best solution, only reason i dont do it doe every connection is because i redo my setup every few months..

hey man, why not use those twist connectors? Just put the 2 wires in, twist it on..there u go. if u really wanna be safe u can tape it but ive used it in 120v situations and had 0 problems. And if you need to undo , just untwist.

I had the same problem with mine pretty much expcet the wire fried. All I did was cut out the fried part of the wire and wired in a new piece.

I would cut off the melted parts of the wire and use a zero loss connector instead of a molex. I use Deans plugs on my RC cars. They are rated for 30 AMPs. Beefy. :D They have very little resistance too. Less than a piece of 12 guage wire the same length. Linkage.

*Edit*
I must have skipped over Graystar's post earlier. I pretty much said the same thing. Lol.

Back