• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 sticks or 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Takovr

I have 2 sticks of 512 3700 memory running on a asus motherboard
running in duel channel mode. If I got a 3rd stick of the same memory
will my computer run better with the extra memory?

No, because you won't be in dual channel anymore if you put a third stick in. So, unless you do some stuff where you need more memory, it will actually hurt your performance.

Not necessarily. If it's an AMD system, the dual channel won't help you enough to justify keeping it over another 512 stick. If it's an Intel system, it will.

Running 2 sticks will give you 1GB of RAM in Dual-Channel. Running 3 sticks will give you 1.5GB of RAM in Single-Channel. I would go with the 2 sticks in DC to save money because you won't notice the difference between 1GB and 1.5GB in most applications. What are you going to be using this computer for?

Well he would have to be running an AMD board if he is thinking about running dual channel, or running with only three sticks. Since Intel's dual channel boards can't run with 3 sticks. That's why I said unless he was doing something that needed more memory, he would actually be hurting his performance. Not to mention he may have to run looser timings and/or lower his FSB if he runs his board with three sticks.

Thank you

Thx for the help I guess I will not buy a 3rd stick of ram, I mostly use it for
computer games...

Back