• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error Checking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trent

After installing SP 2 for xp, I now get an error checking on my partition and my second harddrive with every bootup, Now I cant really move everything off these 2 drives to format them because I have no space to put these things and would need prolly 100 cds to burn everything off and I dont really want to wipe winodws again as I just did 3 days before sp2 came out. So Im looking for ideas on how to stop it from error checking every boot or anything. And I cant run any defrag or anything on the partition or the drive because it insists that it is scheduled to be error checked.

Check under the following Key in the Registry (Start | Run | Type regedit and click OK), and make sure the BootExecute Value name has a Value data of...autocheck autochk*

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Control | Session Manager

The binary Value name in the RH pane will be "BootExecute" (without the quotes). Right-click the "BootExecute" binary name and select "Modify" (if the value is something other than autocheck autochk*). Type in the correct value as I've shown it below. Under the "Value" column, it should look like this...

autocheck autochk*
You may also need to check the following Registry Keys...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | Winlogon

Add or modify the following Value name...
SFCScan=DWORD Value data of 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Control | Session Manager

Add or modify the following Value name...
AutoChkTimeOut=DWORD Value data of 0

The following MSKB article may also apply to your situation...

Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer

Back