• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7-G Advance II- what needs to be done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi, I purchased this board and am wondering about a few things. I know that abit 1c7 max3 has voltage probs above 2.8/2.9v (correct?)... is it the same for my board?
1) I bought the ocz booster... will that remove the need to do any mods?
2) If not, what needs to be done to make my board work properly?
3) Where can I find a good guide to walk me through the process?

The Max3 VTT issues are from 2.9v to 3.2v, the IC7-G only goes up to 2.8v. I've heard you still need to do a vdimm mod on the IC7-G in order for the OCZ booster to work right. Go up to my sticky post in this section and look up HiPro's mods. Also, there was a guide in the Memory Section recently about the OCZ booster that had a couple links covering the IC7.

An alternative to HiPro's somewhat intimidating mods is Madcat1968's vTT mod. I'd never picked up a soldering iron in my life before I did the mod and it came off without a hitch. Head over to Abit-Forums and PM Madcat if you want to give it a shot. He sends the completed circuit out to you for free, and only asks that you send him $8 (yes, eight!) upon a successful installation. The completed circuit only requires the removal of one or two caps (depending on your board) and the soldering of three wires.

IC7 + vtt fix + OCZ booster = hummuna-hummuna-hummuna :)

Styyn: And that would be the only thing needed to be done to fix the board?

What exactly is a vTT mod (and what is this completed circuit that madcat makes?)

Yes, all you need is the VTT mod. The VTT voltage is the most stable if it's exactly half the voltage of the vdimm. On the IC7 series, it's ok up to 2.8v (1.4v VTT), but above 2.8v it don't increase unless you do the mod. So, if you don't do the VTT mod, but you use the OCZ booster and set it to 3.2v vdimm, the VTT is still 1.4v instead of 1.6v like it should be.

Zebbo said:
MadCat1968, he's The One :)
Madcat1968 is not making any more VTT circuit boards. He has moved on to other projects. However, ping or pm Taodragon00 over at the Abit forums. He says he is making some now.

Zebbo said:
Oh, didn't know that. But he figured out how to make it right?

Right, Madcat1968 did all the design work and created the circuit board. He made a bunch of them and passed them around. And then because of personal reasons, he had to move on. Taodragon00 has been making some recently. So they are still available. They are easy to install. Cut a trace on the back of the mobo. Remove a cap, then carefully solder 4 wires.

BigStan said:
Right, Madcat1968 did all the design work and created the circuit board. He made a bunch of them and passed them around. And then because of personal reasons, he had to move on. Taodragon00 has been making some recently. So they are still available. They are easy to install. Cut a trace on the back of the mobo. Remove a cap, then carefully solder 4 wires.

I contacted him and he told me they arent for MAx 2 boards, but only for Max 3 mobos.... so now Im back to zero.... any ideas?

Back