• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512 stick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, since I posted this like three times in the last hour, but if you get the corsair PC3200, make sure you get the PC3200XL PRO. It will run with 2-2-2-5 timings, and will OC like crazy with those tight timings.

Is this in addition to or as a replacement for your current PC2700 RAM?

If it is as a replacement you may be better with two sticks of 256 rather than 512 if you dont plan to add another 512 in the near future. This lets you run the memory in dual channel mode resulting in a small performance gain.

is the pro stuff much more money

oh and kindda off topic , but do i have any chance of running DOOM3 on the system in my sig (when i get this new ram)

Yeah, it's like $340 for a 1Gb dual channel set, whereas the non pro is only $297 last I checked. The 512 was only $159, so it's not too much more. The memory will help you immensely with doom3, but if I were you, I'd invest in a new video card instead of more memory if your goal is to take on doom 3. I played the game through on Ultra High Settings, 1280 x 1024, 4xAA and 8xAF, max details, and vsync on, with the system in my sig. I averaged 59 FPS through the entire game, if that gives you any kind of marker to go off of.

They seem to have the best prices on Corsair:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produ...=BD&Brand=CORSAIR&startRecord=30&endRecord=60

Back