• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ME Restart Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Solo3021

Registered
I am currently troubleshooting a ME computer for a friend of mine. Here's the problem:

When a warmboot (restart) is chosen, the computer shuts down then begins to restart. The computer hits the POST screen and freezes.

When the computer coldboots (shutdown, turn on manually) it hits the POST screen and continues like normal and loads the ME OS.

I checked the IDE cables. (There are 2 hd's. One 9.5 Gb and one 40 Gb. The 9.5GB drive is the boot drive, but during POST this drive is listed as the Primary slave instead of the Primary Master as it should be. Right now the 9.5GB drive is under cable select by the jumper settings. The 40GB drive is what bothers me. It's an unmarked Maxtor drive. No jumper settings, stickers, etc... is on it. I ran Norton Systemworks 2004 WinDoctor on the computer. It determined that several registry settings were indicating that Drive D was being viewed as Drive C.

Any suggestions as to a proper repair?

Not to be over simplified, but make surethe machine is fully updated. It is a common problem, or at least was. Most people have upgraded.

Mellenium, to use a car analogy, is like taking a Ford Taurus( a reasonably reliable car) and cramming all kind of features without a real plan and calling it a Lincoln Continental. The Lincoln Continental is one of the least reliable Ford products...ever.

Well, I prefer Chevy's due to compatibility to old/newer cars.

But, It's looking more like I'm going to have to reinstall the OS or a better OS to fix the problem. That way I could wipe all registry problems.

Oh, btw it is updated.

Back