• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leak Testing/bleeding/filling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azianese

I was kind of wondering how the whole process of bleeding, filling, and leak testing worked. I remember it being in the watercooling q and a sticky but I can't find it there anymore. A couple of things that I couldn't figure out....

You're supposed to leak test your system for atleast 1 day before you actually run electricity and such through it.... Well how do I do it if I use the mcp600 (runs off power supply)? Should I just have it installed but then remove it completely with the computer still on or something?!?

Also, how do I fill the reservoir if the pump itself is not supposed to be run dry for even a second?

I suppose I had more questions but I think that a response that shows that I'm missing something essential would be enough to piece it together...

not sure about the second question..but for the first one if u have an extra psu laying around..insert a wire in the green and black connectors and then power up...other members told me how to do this one :D

some people leak test with the whole thing outside of the computer after measuring tubings and connecting everything together. Personally, I installed it on my computer as is but make sure not to connect power to the motherboard and of course I use worm clamps and no AGP card or pci cards installed. What most people do is they use a wire and connect the green wire of the ATX power cable to a black wire. That should powerup the PSU without having to turn on the computer.

By laying the computer on it's side, you can fill up at least 3/4 through the reservoir and then lift the computer upright and then turn on the power and continue filling up the reservoir. Hope it helps.

oh, I suppose I can find one somewhere... so the mcp600 turns on with only the power supply on? I kind of thought that you needed the motherboard on as well because my cold cathode light was like that... but I suppose they aren't the same at all.

yeah, the pump draws power from PSU not from the board but when ATX is connected to the board, then PSU can only be turned on through the motherboard that is why.

THANKS TO Killa200 FROM OVERCLOCKERSFORUM FOR THIS TUT.

UTORIAL- HOW TO JUMP A PSU

1st thing is first. Unless you plan on having a load full time on a jumped psu, only jump it for a short period ( 2-3 seconds max) at a time. Running a psu with no load can cause it to damage itself. Also please disconnect the psu before jumping it, and after finished.

Toolds needed.

1- ATX PSU
2- Wire Strippers (or teeth, depending on lazyness)
3- Short lenght of wire (or 2 if you do the optional step)

Step 1. Grab you psu, examine the atc connector itself, u'll notice a green wire with a black wire on either end of it. Take your length of wire, use the wire strippers (or teeth) to strip a small section of wire on the end of each side of the wire. Insert one end of this wire into the green lead opening of the atx connector, and the other end into any of the 2 black lead openings beside the green lead opening. This will jump the psu, and if it is plugged in ( i suggest jumping first, then plugging it in), then a good psu will turn on. Remember only run an unloaded psu for 2-3 seconds MAX!
1.jpg

Notice the jump from the black and green wires.

Step 2. (Optional) If you plan on runnign the psu for an extended amount of time (with a load on it of course) then i would suggest also jumping off the psu ok (grey lead) and a ground (black). This will help in stablizing the psu itself under load. Take a small length of wire, and strip a small section on each end on the wire. Insert one end of this wire into the grey lead opening of the atx connector, and the other end into the black lead opening beside of it (make sure it is the black one, as beside the grey wire, there is one black, and one purple).

2.jpg

Notice the jump is using the grey and the black wire.

Following these directions will gve you a sucessful psu jump.

yeah... this may be stupid but where can I get a small piece of green wire... Could I just find this somewhere in the house by ripping off the phone cord or something or would I need to go buy one.

You do not need a green wire to do that, you can use a fold out paperclip aswell, or some other conductive material. Just make sure that you have a cd player or some fans connected to the psu aswell to avoid damage on the psu, as stated above.

I have used the same paperclip for several years now, you use what you have at the moment.

I used one of those trashbag wires, just removed the paper/plastic on the outside, bent it, and stuck a black wire to the green one. There are many black wires, so it doesnt amtter which one you use.

Back