• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 6800 GT OC + mod Maze4 with Pics...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myzhi

Registered
myzhi3-P8130461.JPG

1) BFG w/o dual fan heatsink. The holes for the mounting screws were too small. Thus, I needed to use a 7/64" drill bit to make it a little bit larger.

myzhi3-P8130462.JPG

2) One hole on the Maze4 was off about 1-2 mm. Thus, need to drill a new one. You can see the old hole in the lower left right next to the new one with mounting screw attached.

myzhi3-P8130480.JPG

3) BFG + Maze4 together.

myzhi3-P8130481.JPG

4) BFG running in my case. In a 29C / 85F room, idle temp is about 51C now compare to 65C before. Load temp is about 60C.

Last edited:
impressed you had the balls to drill a brand new card. OC'er till death baby

Very Nice. Though I can't see the pics. Got a quick question. How hard was it to get the fan heatsink off the card?

sandman001 said:
You drilled your $400 card?

respect.

It sounds crazy, but not really. The holes are just a tiny bit small for the mounting screws to go through. I just made them a a little bit larger. In fact, there are still metal covering the two wholes like the others. If I were to put the stock heatsink back on, highly doubt anyone would notice.

Stash22 said:
Very Nice. Though I can't see the pics. Got a quick question. How hard was it to get the fan heatsink off the card?

Strange that you can't see the pics. Getting the heatsink of was easy. Just remove the 4 screws keeping the heatsink on.

Hi Myzhi, awesome job modding the GPU block. I was about to make a whole new top. You saved me alot of time and trouble, thanks!! Just a few questions though:

1. Does the waterblock interfere with the AGP slot?
2. Can you take a picture of the stock coolers bottom side?
3. Can you take a close up picture of the screws that held the stock heatsink on?

I plan to do the exact same thing you did, but i want to make a 1 peice RAM heatsink (kind of like nvidia's referance design). I just need to know if i could use the stock screws to mount my heatsink. oh yea, if you can, please take MANY pictures of the stock heatsink from all angles. this would help me out alot!!

Liquid_Cooled said:
1. Does the waterblock interfere with the AGP slot?
2. Can you take a picture of the stock coolers bottom side?
3. Can you take a close up picture of the screws that held the stock heatsink on?

1) Nope. Otherwise, it would not have been a successful mod. :p

2) Pictures of stock cooler. Just remove the 4 screws from the back of the card, and then, remove the cooler.

myzhi3-P8130492.JPG

myzhi3-P8130491.JPG

Hi Myzhi. The copper Ramsinks your using on your memory, are they the OCZ ones? How did you attach them to your memory? Did you use there supplied thermal adhesive? Or did you use the arctic cilver epoxy?

Those ramsinks cool your ram pretty well? on you sig you have the mem overclocked to 1.17.

Liquid_Cooled said:
Hi Myzhi. The copper Ramsinks your using on your memory, are they the OCZ ones? How did you attach them to your memory? Did you use there supplied thermal adhesive? Or did you use the arctic cilver epoxy?

Those ramsinks cool your ram pretty well? on you sig you have the mem overclocked to 1.17.

FrozenCPU Monster Copper BGA Ramsinks (8)
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ram-19.html
ram-19.jpg

They are larger and cheaper then the OCZ version. Currently, using thermal tape until I am satisfy that there's nothing wrong with the card (warranty), and then, I'll switch to epoxy. And yes, ram is running at 1.17.

Last edited:
beautiful!

i hope to get a 6800 gt around christmas, probably will be watercooling it too. hope i don't have to drill anything though :)

:clap:

myzhi said:
It sounds crazy, but not really. The holes are just a tiny bit small for the mounting screws to go through. I just made them a a little bit larger. In fact, there are still metal covering the two wholes like the others. If I were to put the stock heatsink back on, highly doubt anyone would notice.

I had to do the same thing to mount a Zalman. But it worked out just fine. Just gotta be very careful. I even used the same mounting spots lol.

HPIM0226.jpg

Temps are alot better. However strangly my idle temps are much better. Load temps however have been cut by almost 20c*

Back