• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Memory Upgrade question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmat

Registered
I made my own machine about 8 months ago (thanks in huge part to the help from visiting the forums here) and when I did, I included 512mb of DDR Crucial PC-3200 memory in 2 256mb sticks.

Now that it's 8 months later, I'd like to upgrade to a full gig of memory, but my question is this:
My Epox 8RDA3+ motherboard has 3 memory slots. If I leave the current 2 sticks in and insert a stick of 512 into the third, will that effect performance or create any bottlenecks as opposed to having 2 sticks of 512 in 2 slots and leaving the 3rd empty?

The Epox should run just fine in dual-channel mode if you put the larger (512MB) stick in the single slot, and the other 2 x256 in the two slots that are close together. How this compares to 2 x 512? I can't say for sure, but I doubt any difference would be that significant. The only real way to tell would be to run benchmarks, and you would need a 2 x 512 set if sticks to do that. Got any you can borrow?

No I don't, unfortunately, but it's good to know that the difference would be minimal. Thanks for your input!

Back