• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Use of MDF as material for shrouds, box, etc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunTzu69

Medium Density Fiberwood -

This material is real easy to work with even though it's not the best looking. I'm wondering if you recommend its use for building a radiator box outside of a pc ? Does it restrict airflow more than another material such as plastic or acrylic ?

Thanks

First few boxes I made were out of MDF. It's a nice material to make an airtight box out of because you can just screw everything together (and unscrew it if you need to work inside). I found screwing better than nailing, because MDF will split apart (especially if you don't drill leader holes for the screws).

Because you screw instead of nail, it's hard to get the sides to meet up perfectly, so I'd recommend putting silicone in the gaps. I'm not sure why you think it would restrict airflow?

Just my experience. I moved on to making boxes out of plywood, just for aesthetic reasons. MDF seems to insulate sound pretty well, too.

Many thanks...

Yes I plan on using silicone... :eek:

Can't wait to see the temps and game on my A64... :drool:

I just built an external box out of 1/2" mdf. The problem with it is that it's heavy.

Make sure you pre-drill screw holes, it cracks easily. And yes it's good for air tight scenarios (fans pulling through rad in my case, no shrouds). MDF is the most common material used for speaker boxes for a reason.

Back