• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extremely brief power on IS7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stolid

A friend of mine just built an IS7 and I helped him set it all up last night. It was running fine, we installed Windows 2000, and he played some games and then went to sleep (system still on). When he woke up the system was off, I've been trying to help trouble shoot and here's what we've figured out.

The "green" power line light is on
The "red" system-on light flashes very briefly, combined with a light spin of the system fans for a split second, on occasion when we press power. We have also used a 'hard jumper' to ensure the power switch wasn't bad, same symptoms.
We have reseated the RAM and tried most of the 'always try it' fixes (i.e. clearing CMOS, unplugging the whole system for 10 minutes, etc.)

Any ideas?

Sounds like something died and is now causing the power supply to shut down just after you turn it on. The only thing to try is to remove everything from the motherboard but the CPU and disconnect the power from all the drives and see if the power supply stays on. If power supply still shuts down then take a look at the motherboard for any burnt or discolored parts. If power supply stays on then look at the cards or the drives for the problem.

Stolid said:
A friend of mine just built an IS7 and I helped him set it all up last night. It was running fine, we installed Windows 2000, and he played some games and then went to sleep (system still on). When he woke up the system was off, I've been trying to help trouble shoot and here's what we've figured out.

The "green" power line light is on
The "red" system-on light flashes very briefly, combined with a light spin of the system fans for a split second, on occasion when we press power. We have also used a 'hard jumper' to ensure the power switch wasn't bad, same symptoms.
We have reseated the RAM and tried most of the 'always try it' fixes (i.e. clearing CMOS, unplugging the whole system for 10 minutes, etc.)

Any ideas?

well it sounds exactly like what happen to my ic7 and i killed it (check my thread)

Could be the psu itself. Sounds like what happened when sparkle psu I had died. I swapped it with an Allied 350w and the system fired right up. Usually, if I have a bad piece of hardware, the system powers on and the fans spin and all, but you just never get picture or any type of BIOS beeps or BIOS beeps that indicate where the problem might be. For a Power on and then back off again situation, I always look at the PSU itself.

its the psu. Im pretty sure of it. Im willing to bet my comp setup on it. :) j/k But it is the psu.

Back