• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corrosion in an old Aluminum block top

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gungeek

I have a new-to-me MCW462u that has some spots inside the housing where corrosion has happened and the anodizing is gone. It was part of a kit that was used for a short time then boxed up for a year or two. Is there an easy way to protect the now bare aluminum spots? It is mainly 2 spots each about 1/3 inch square in the corner by the exit barb.

Before you paint anything, you should contact swiftech about this.
Im am sure they will help you or give you some good advice at least.
Was that block in your posession its entire lifespan? If so did you use corrosion inhibitors? which one? Did you modify or scratch the inside?
These are all questions swifty is going to ask you. Be honest and youll get a good response. What you have hapening is not supposed to happen if proper care is taking (HydriX, distilled water). So maybe youll get a replacement top.
Good luck.

This block is too old for a warranty claim and I don't know what coolant mix was used by the previous owner (some addative was used from the residue). Swiftech has helped me in the past; I wouldn't con them. The rest of the anodizing looks very good; I don't think this was a manufacturing problem.

I talked to someone who works with aerospace metal boxes. The best solution seems to be cover the spots with a protectant (chemfilm or alodine, same material) then apply a layer of good epoxy over the spots. The chemfilm will help the epoxy adhere to the surface better. He suggested a bake-on epoxy, but I'd have to remove the quick connects somehow or they would be damaged from the heat.

The other option is to just use the block as-is. I run about 25% anti-freeze anyway.

make sure to use anticorosive agents for one, what you could is put a coat of jbweld over those spots, it should protect them.

Jon

Unless I hear a better plan, I'll put some alodine (from work) over the spots then JBweld over that. That will prevent having to heat cure some epoxy which would require removing the quick connect fittings. I'd like to keep at least the inlet fitting.

Back