• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram goes up to 285 now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snipester

Just bought some generic no name with Hynix chips rated CAS 3 upto DDR400...
Sisoft doesn't show what company its from =_=.

Anyways I maxxed out my voltage to 2.85v and overclocked using memtest to test the ram.

At 3-4-4-8 the ram goes up to 285 with no errors !@!@!
@ 290 it fails the memtest.
and this is el cheapo generic ram......!@!@!
Unfortunately this place is a mom and pop shop so only locals can buy it

Problem is i'm CPU limited. at speeds >260 my CPU starts freezing when using P95. I dunno if giving it more voltage will help.

Anyways how should i continue overclocking?

I don't know crap about Intel OC'ing but I would like to know what mom and pop store you got your ram at. The Hynix D43 are great modules. Can you get 3-3-3 out of them cause I think they are supposed to do that? Where as the Hynix D4's are for 3-4-4 timmings.

veryhumid said:
yeah to answer your question:

do a little dance!

Yeah, I was going with:

Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the MUSIC!

But then, it could easily be:

Megahertz! Megahertz! Dance to the Mega, Meeegggaaahertz!

As to the second part of your question...it you are at 260 on your cpu, then yes, as long as your cooling will allow, increase your cpu's voltage to see if it will run faster. Once you have established that max, then work on getting the timings (worry about CAS the least, concentrate on the middle two - tRCD and tRP) as low as possible at your cpu's max stable fsb.

Then...well, just gloat. :clap: :clap: :clap:

yeah you have a nice overclock going, I would set bios volts to 1.575 for air. Just make sure you are not over 1.6 volts when the computer is idling in windows. good luck! do a little... DANCE TO THE MUSIC ;) okayiwillstop ;)

flapperhead said:
wow! congrats looks like u got pc 4500+ for real cheep..

flapper,

You're an Intel man, what is your take on max cpu voltage and temps for air cooled P4 rigs?

Thanks, those are more in line with what I was thinking, vs the 1.575 max suggested above. I was wondering if maybe I was frying something and just didn't know it. I realize, though, that everyone has to set their own limits, based on their personal comfort levels.

ok snipster now its time to crank up the voltage on the cpu( the asus is cleverly designed so that when u up the vcore the northbridge voltage increases in turn) bump up ur agp(also feeds thru northbridge) and find out how far those little gems will run.

In reply to ClarkKent

I will try the 3-3-3-8 or whatever but i think they are at its limits. I'll let u know in this thread if all goes well. Right now its at 3-4-4-8 2.85v running at 250fsb. The mom and pop store i am referring to is CTY computers. http://cty.ca
They are a buncha chinese mainlanders and i asked them about overclocking and they just laffed and said i dunno.

In reply to Reefa_Madness

Well the problem is i've gone upto 267 but it freezes sometimes in p95
What does freezing mean?? not enuf power? I only have an enermax 350watt thats quite old (upgraded from 300watt antec) -_-. ANOTHER then. Remember that thing with the asus boards and the drooping of the voltage?? well when u select for example 1.525 volts (stock) it idles at around 1.6v and when u make the CPU work at 100% load the voltage drops down to 1.525v. This is the p4p800 SE so asus's answer to the drooping voltage might be to just raise the idle voltage?!?!?? so it droops to selected voltage??? WHY?? They must have screwed up in the circuit design to have to do that....

In reply to flapperhead

It takes an *** long time to test stablilty. I've been lazy but My computer has froze on occasion in warcraft III when o/ced to 260 around there at stock voltage for the CPU. stable at 250...

i can try to get more out of the cpu but i think the ram is going pretty good...

Sandra doesn't report a manufacturer which is oddddd.

Snipester said:
In reply to ClarkKent

I
In reply to Reefa_Madness

Well the problem is i've gone upto 267 but it freezes sometimes in p95
What does freezing mean?? not enuf power? I only have an enermax 350watt thats quite old (upgraded from 300watt antec) -_-. ANOTHER then. Remember that thing with the asus boards and the drooping of the voltage?? well when u select for example 1.525 volts (stock) it idles at around 1.6v and when u make the CPU work at 100% load the voltage drops down to 1.525v. This is the p4p800 SE so asus's answer to the drooping voltage might be to just raise the idle voltage?!?!?? so it droops to selected voltage??? WHY?? They must have screwed up in the circuit design to have to do that....

Yeah, increasing the voltage is where I would start, in order to try to stabilize that cpu at speeds over 260. We all know that there are no guarantees that your 2.4 will run higher than what you've already gotten out of it, after all, you've already gotten a 30% overclock at 260 fsb, so if that is all it does, you've got nothing to complain about. Some do better, but I have no doubt that you'll find some doing worse. First impression is that it has some left, though and since I think that you are still at or near stock voltage, then starting with an increase to 1.6v or so would be worth a shot. See what that does for you. And your concerns about the power supply might very well be valid, especially since it is an older unit.

Lastly, just get her stable and have fun with your games and such. If you can do that, the rest is just gravy...scores to show others, with no real life meaning.

Last edited:
Back