• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8C just wont overclock, I am starting to lose my mind.................

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

Ok the rig is

Asus P4P800 Deluxe
2.8C 800mhz
From the Top of the CPU
Intel M C '02
2.80GHZ/512/800
SL6Z5 COSTA RICA
3348A280
4348B054
If anyone can tell me if this is a good batch or not.
1 gig, 2x512 Hynix BT-D43 PC3200
Bios 1017.004

This thing when I first dropped it in would run prime stable at 3.5 but for some reason something has changed and now it wont post even at 240fsb

I dont know if I am missing something, or what.

The machine simply wont post at any voltage over 1.6.
If I turn Tubrbo on in the bios it wont run even at stock speeds.
If I set everything to standard, or auto I can get as high as 235fsb. but the machine almost seems slower.

I have tried tweaking so many things and nothing seems to want to click. I see all these people getting well over 250 and I cant see why this combo just does not want to do it.

Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction.

What can I tweak change, is someone willing to go though the bios with me in this thread and explain what tweaks are going to do me some good and what is not.

There must be some combination of standard, turbo and timmings that I am missing. I have the ram at 2.85v the agp someplace in the middle.

I have a good cooler on it, great case ventilation and a sweet PSU.

If I cant figure this out I am going to have to change my sig to lowly stock or 3.2ghz as that is the fastest this thing will run stable now.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
my pc based on p4c800edlx doens't post above 1.6V CPU either, but i don't this is the issue. what memory/CPU ratio have you defined? try 2/3 and see if it helps. how does the CPU voltage behaves under load? some of asus boards are prone to undervolt a bit.

change ratio, select memory frequecy 320 that's 5:4 ratio, also check timings on your memory in bios

I tried it at the 320 and still unstable, running mem timmings of 3-4-4-7 I think I am just missing the magic combination.

Ok FSB set to 250 voltage 1.6
mem set to 320 2.85 timming 3-4-4-7
PCI locked 66mhz / whatever the other defualt is.
Everything else set to auto

Or send me sugguestion on other settings.

mem set to 320 2.85 timming 3-4-4-7
I am running a P4P800 and I have used 2x512 Hynix BT-D43. The P4P800 doesn't like the memory set to 320 (5:4) and RAM timings set to CAS3 all at the same time (well at least mine didn't). The Hynix chips run best when set to 400 (1:1) where CAS3 is OK. I suggest setting your mem frequency to 400 and leaving it there while sorting the rest out.

The machine simply wont post at any voltage over 1.6.
The core voltage settings of 1.625 and 1.65 on the P4P800 will produce an actual voltage lower than the 1.6 setting (makes sense, huh? :-/). I don't have a link handy for more info on this but it is a known issue. If you want to keep raising vcore, you should jump from 1.6 to 1.675 :eek: which is getting a little high.

If you have time, please post back with results about how you do.
Cheers :beer:
MZ

Sorry guys I have been gone for the past day and a half on a Fiero Club Camping trip. But I am back now.

YOU GUYS ROCK, Thank You All.

Ok MEM 1-1 CAS 3-4-4-8-8
CPU FSB 250 Stable and Holding Voltage 1.7
Temps MB 30C CPU 33C Idle, 44 WOT

I ran PCMark 2002 and went though without a hitch. Got some of my best scores yet.

pcmarkbench.jpg

I am going to push for 260fsb now and see what happens.

According to Asus Prob my VCore is bouncing from 1.675-1.74 seems a bit strange seeing as I have it at 1.7v

Ya wanna know what the last switch was to turn. I tried to reboot sevarl times and it froze with just a cursor blinking. I rememberd an old post about Legacy USB. I quickly hit reset and turned it off. Wham Bam Thank You Mam, road ya hard and put ya away wet, PERFECT. The voltage up I was scared to do, but I did it and the temps are not too high, the computer is running really well. It looks like I dont have to change my sig afterall. Ya. Now the only thing left to do is run P95 and see how that goes. Yaaa.

Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You.

And a special Thanks to Merc Zephyr. I would have never guessed that this board had a voltage problem at 1.6-1.65.

"The Capt"

Damn, Damn Damn.

Well it seemed to be doing great, till I started encoding movies. I was running in windows movie maker. (A great tool if you just want to quickly suck a movie from a camera and then compress it quickly)

Well I got 71% and froze, ok reboot and try dropping the voltage from 1.7 down to 1.675 tried again and froze at 34%

I am not sure how much voltage this cpu can take before I risk frying it. My ram is till running 1-1 should I try brining it back or is this ram fine to run way up there.

Oh quickly add in, the CPU temp was at around 51-52C both times when it locked up. I had asus probe running on the 2nd moniter as well as AnalogX, Net Stat Live to moniter CPU Usage usage was around 87%

More Updates. I went back, cranked the Vcore up to 1.725 and rebooted, I fired into movie maker again and all is well.

BUT, (there is always a butt (sometimes cute, sometimes not)isn't there)

The temp has climped, asus probe is reporting 36C IDLE with highes around 56C it is my understanding that Asus Probe reports low so my real cpu temp could be up around 65C when loaded.

Is this too high. I am just glad that it is stable. I might spring for one of those Hyper6 coolers now.

Brave man, I got mine at 1.6 but as this is my first comp i've overclocked i'm not sure if you should go as high as that. I've seen a lot of ppl say that you shouldn't go above 1.6

Anyway doesn't the p4 2.8c have thermal limiter?

Yup your temp may be around 65c so be careful

When u start to encode movies, i suggest u dont oc lol :) it will bring ur cpu to its max.. ur cpu lifespan will surely decrease :)

I dropped it back to 1.675 and am going to leave it there. I have ripped a few movies, did several benchmarks for testing and gotten some really nice scores. Even my 3D Mark scores jumped from 11,000 to 13,200 so I am pretty happy. I know there is very little real world performance diff between 3.4 and 3.5 but I really just the idea of 1ghz buss seems so cool to me. I am going to leave it like this and see how she does.

you would more then likey get better temps using either the SP-94 or the XP-120... i vote for he xp-120. Using a 120mm fan will be quiter at speeds that make 80mm fans scream!

You may also want to look into doing the 'droop mod'. I'm about to do some research into this so I can give a soldering friend the info so he can get it done for me.

The fluctuations in this board are surely affecting my overclock stability. I get a variance of around 1.4v which is pretty awful really. If I'd known this before I would have got a different board.

Last edited:
Back