• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KVR with Micon Chipset @ CC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g-dawg

Registered
Picked up 2 x 512 sticks of this yesterday at circut city for $130.00

KVR400AK2/512R
740617072679 K2 2.6 v

on chip

MT 46V32M8
TG -5B C

The guy said this was the new stuff that they just got in this week. Happy hunting.

WOWEEE WHAT A DEAL... i picked up 2x256 kvr with those chips about 2-3 mo. ago. b4 i ruined my ic7, i could run 250 @ 3.2.3.6 @ 3.2volts.. hopefully they will run well for u my friend...

I've seen the PC3200 512MB pictured at newegg, but just thought that it might be an old picture. Glad to see it is still available...I like the Micron on PC3200 (just don't ask about PC3700:) ).

Reefa_Madness said:
I've seen the PC3200 512MB pictured at newegg, but just thought that it might be an old picture. Glad to see it is still available...I like the Micron on PC3200 (just don't ask about PC3700:) ).

LOL...

g-dawg, the part number you listed is for the 512mb kit (2 256mb sticks). I checked on Circuit City's website and they don't have single 512mb sticks listed, and the kit is $139.99. That seems a bit expensive. Thanks for the heads-up, though. If someone is looking specifically for Cs, this would definitely be a good place to look.

g-dawg said:
Picked up 2 x 512 sticks of this yesterday at circut city for $130.00

KVR400AK2/512R
740617072679 K2 2.6 v

on chip

MT 46V32M8
TG -5B C

The guy said this was the new stuff that they just got in this week. Happy hunting.

Hey guy, double check those sticks. I believe that is the 2 x 256 product code you just listed, not the 2 x 512. That is a kit of 2 sticks (K2), totalling 512MB. The R is the code for the Retail box. The product code for the 1gig retail kit is KVR400AK/1GR. This is the one that is 2 x 512MB sticks.

This is still good ram, but you might be able to get it cheaper if you follow Reefa's tips on cheap KVR (which is an adaptation of flapper's key to cheap KVR). Keep an eye out for the next four weeks (verify this is the "returns" time frame at CC) to see if this same ram (product code, no concern for ICs used) goes on sale anywhere. It usually will be on sale every few weeks at either BB or CC for about $80, after mail-in-rebates. Buy it on sale, saving all MIR forms and receipts. What you want to do is to then return to Circuit City the second purchase, using the first (CC's) receipt. At Circuit City's returns desk they don't care if your return of an unopended box of Kingston ValueRam in a dual-channel kit has Micron, Hynix or Kingston labeled chips, they just want a box of unopened ram that they can resale. You keep the box purchased at CC, but claim your rebates from the second purchase using the UPC from the box of the Circuit City ram and you end up with the ICs you wanted (Micron) at the sale price.

You are not doing anything illegal, you made two actual purchases of the same product, with the same UPC code and the same product description in the same retail box. It makes no difference which one you return to which store, as for their purposes, they are identical products.

Last edited:
Beaten to the draw, again. I've got to stop these long winded essays. But then, it wouldn't be me. :)

Reefa_Madness said:
Hey guy, double check does sticks. I believe that is the 2 x 256 product code you just listed, not the 2 x 512. That is a kit of 2 sticks (K2), totalling 512MB. The R is the code for the Retail box. The product code for the 1gig retail kit is KVR400AK/1GR. This is the one that is 2 x 512MB sticks.

This is still good ram, but you might be able to get it cheaper if you follow Reefa's tips on cheap KVR (which is an adaptation of flapper's key to cheap KVR). Keep an eye out for the next four weeks (verify this is the "returns" time frame at CC) to see if this same ram (product code, no concern for ICs used) goes on sale anywhere. It usually will be on sale every few weeks at either BB or CC for about $80, after mail-in-rebates. Buy it on sale, saving all MIR forms and receipts. What you want to do is to then return to Circuit City the second purchase, using the first (CC's) receipt. At Circuit City's returns desk they don't care if your return of an unopended box of Kingston ValueRam in a dual-channel kit has Micron, Hynix or Kingston labeled chips, they just want a box of unopened ram that they can resale. You keep the box purchased at CC, but claim your rebates from the second purchase using the UPC from the box of the Circuit City ram and you end up with the ICs you wanted (Micron) at the sale price.

You are not doing anything illegal, you made two actual purchases of the same product, with the same UPC code and the same product description in the same retail box. It makes no difference which one you return to which store, as for their purposes, they are identical products.

thats a great way to get cheap memory..

I do the same thing when Kingston has sales at their site. Buy locally, where I can select the ICs that I want, then order from Kingston the same product. Keep checking here, as well as the BB and CC for those dual packs of 2 x 256 to go on sale.

http://www.shop.kingston.com/0804kvr/default.asp?sls=shop_spcl

I just did the following:

I picked up a gig of Hynix (that is how I was able to post its product code above) bt-d43 in 2 x 512 from CC last Wednesday. They sale it for $250. Kingston is running a special at shop.kingston on the same dual-channel kit with who knows or who cares ICs for $162 less a $20 rebate, for net $142. I should receive it on Monday, then stroll down to my local CC and return a dual channel kit of 1 gig of kvr. It just won't be the Hynix, but it will be the identical product code in an unopened box. I end up with a gig of Hynix for $142 and maybe I'll get lucky like that guy from Malaysia and be able to hit 2-2-2 as well. Fat chance, I know, but I can always dream, right?

Now, if the stuff from Kingston is Hynix or Micron, then I'll probably keep it and return the original (or order another set from Kingston???).

Reefa_Madness said:
I do the same thing when Kingston has sales at their site. Buy locally, where I can select the ICs that I want, then order from Kingston the same product. Keep checking here, as well as the BB and CC for those dual packs of 2 x 256 to go on sale.

http://www.shop.kingston.com/0804kvr/default.asp?sls=shop_spcl

I just did the following:

I picked up a gig of Hynix (that is how I was able to post its product code above) bt-d43 in 2 x 512 from CC last Wednesday. They sale it for $250. Kingston is running a special at shop.kingston on the same dual-channel kit with who knows or who cares ICs for $162 less a $20 rebate, for net $142. I should receive it on Monday, then stroll down to my local CC and return a dual channel kit of 1 gig of kvr. It just won't be the Hynix, but it will be the identical product code in an unopened box. I end up with a gig of Hynix for $142 and maybe I'll get lucky like that guy from Malaysia and be able to hit 2-2-2 as well. Fat chance, I know, but I can always dream, right?

Now, if the stuff from Kingston is Hynix or Micron, then I'll probably keep it and return the original (or order another set from Kingston???).

thats a GREAT system .142.00 for a gig of anything is dirt cheap. not to mention a gig of good chips like hynix or micron etc.. thats definitely a good business mind at work...

I was happy with that find, it is one of my better ones. Even if it runs just OK, I'll put it in a friends system that is not overclocked and they will be thrilled to get it at that price.

You are right on (unfortunately) Mad :( I double checked the box and it is 2 x 256. Question is should I keep it and get 2 more or return and continue hunting for 2x512?

If you think that it is to good to be true... it prob is!

flapperhead said:
one thing in this forum for sure is, mistakes get caught real quick.. thats why i cant believe buffalo isnt using all the great work you guys did on their memory...

Buffalo is not alone in looking the other way. Yesterday I posted at PCPerspective (kinda testy group over there, btw), in response to someone's suggestion of B/T PC3700 as a possible ram to buy and shared my experience. One of the guys over there, I guess looking at my very low post count in that forum, discounted my cautions and suggested that based on the Micron chips this ram SHOULD do this and SHOULD do it at such and such timings. He had no personal experience with it, but knew more than all of us here.

I hope he buys a truckload of it. He SHOULD have alot of fun with it. :)

I checked at CC for the stuff last night. I guess I was hoping that Kingston would have better PCB's or something. I'm really just asking for it...

I am looking for a gig of memory that will perform decently though. It doesn't have to be as good as my BH-5...just a gig that does maybe 2-3-2-11 at 230 or something.

CC was out, by the way. They only had one pack of the 2x512, and it was relabed 'kingston' chips.

Good stuff, bad stuff or so-so?

Attachments

• Mosel-50310PR.jpg
    Mosel-50310PR.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 431
Back