• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what to mix with my buffalo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cornholio

Registered
I have an Asus P4C800 Deluxe w/2.4c
and I currently have 1G (2x512) of Buffalo PC3200 (w/winbond B5) CL2.5
non ecc, nonbuffered.
I would like to add another gig.(2x512) does anyone have any thoughts on what would work well with the buffalo I have?
I know I'll never get any more like it (B5).....
also would any one mind helping out with some settings ? my ram is running @ 2.5-4-4-8... I dont want to "push the limits" but I would like to squeeze summore out of this... thanks guys.

Two questions.

First, why do you want additional memory and do you want it enough to reduce your current ram's special features?

Second and more importantly, what cpu speeds are you running? And what do call the limits? Ram with bh-5 ICs is designed to run at low latency, so unless you are up to very high fsb, why are you running at 2.5-4-4-8? You would be better off, I think, using memory ratio of 5:4, lowering your timings to 2-2-2-5 and that would take you to 250 fsb on your cpu while keeping your memory at 200MHz. You would be running at 3.0GHz, without taxing anything. You could then start increasing your cpu's speed until you found its limit, or the ram's. Without add'l voltage beyond your board's stock 2.85 (I believe?), your bh-5 may top out at 220-230 or so, which would still let you run that cpu up to 275 to 287. I would think that would be the way to go.

And unless you are doing some serious video work, I would blow off the extra gig.

Reefa_Madness said:
Two questions.

First, why do you want additional memory and do you want it enough to reduce your current ram's special features?

Second and more importantly, what cpu speeds are you running? And what do call the limits? Ram with bh-5 ICs is designed to run at low latency, so unless you are up to very high fsb, why are you running at 2.5-4-4-8? You would be better off, I think, using memory ratio of 5:4, lowering your timings to 2-2-2-5 and that would take you to 250 fsb on your cpu while keeping your memory at 200MHz. You would be running at 3.0GHz, without taxing anything. You could then start increasing your cpu's speed until you found its limit, or the ram's. Without add'l voltage beyond your board's stock 2.85 (I believe?), your bh-5 may top out at 220-230 or so, which would still let you run that cpu up to 275 to 287. I would think that would be the way to go.

And unless you are doing some serious video work, I would blow off the extra gig.

yep reefa's got a good suggestion going there. 5/4 doesnt hurt bw on intel chipsets hardly at all. plus a gig usually is enuff for all but the most demanding stuff...

If you don't like using memory ratios, and want to run 1:1, then take some of the money that you would spend on ram and for $50-$60 buy a DDR Booster, made by OCZ, and watch that bh-5 stuff take off. You will probably be able to hit 240-260, depending on your ram, and keep fast timings. Either way, at 5:4 or at 1:1, it will zoom!

What it will do:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=314543

Where to buy:
http://www.svc.com/oczddrvboost.html

boy, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help....the 2.5-4-4-8 settings are default.. everything is stock right now. CPU.. everything.
I have been playing with some settings (emphasis on "playing") ... I have read the stickies.... 100's of them... I've read the definitions of everything, so.. I kinda know what means what, but I'm embaressed to say I just don't know enough of what to do. I don't expect anyone to hold my hand or do the work for me, But I would appreciate a little "push" in the right direction. I totally agree with you about getting more ram, yes, I do a little video work, but not enough by any means to sacrifice my rams features. here it comes.....
stupid question time..... ready?...... I know how to change most of my settings, and i even know how to calculate ratio's. BUT...(omg) WHERE do I change the ratioto 5:4? OK, OK, I said it...but most people must have had to ask that at some time. ;)

PS
the ram I have is CL 2.5...... I should be able to run 2-2-2-5?

Just to be sure that you have no other settings, other than stock, that can mess with you, I would start by clearing the BIOS (jumper for this, next to the battery, I believe).

flapper (or anyone), please feel free to butt in at any time here, as I am working off memory (no pun intended), from helping my nephew with his P4P800 (which should be similar) and therefore, my experience with this board is limited.

In the BIOS of the Asus there should be a section ("Advanced" maybe?) that allows you to set the "memory frequency", among others. It is probably set at the default of "Auto". Select this and your opions will include, besides Auto, 266, 333, 400, 500 and on his, 533, but I don't think that this one is on your board. Selecting 400 is the 1:1 ratio, 333 is the 5:4 ratio and 266 is the 3:2 ratio. Make your selection (333) and then proceed to changing the memory timings from SPD to Manual, or similar wording. I can not recall if this is also in the same section, but you can find it in your manual if it is not. The point is that you want to be able to dictate these things, like your timings and your cpu speed and others that are currently set to Auto type settings. Make sure that whenever you make changes that you want to keep, that you make the choice to keep them before exiting the BIOS, likewise, if you change something and are not sure, just exit without saving the changes.

After locating where to change your timings, change them to 2-2-2-5, keeping your cpu at 200 and see what happens. You should boot into the BIOS. At this point you might want to run Memtest (see link to discussion and download below) for just a few loops to be sure that all is well, before proceeding. Continue increasing the fsb in small increments, testing and recording your results so that you can refer to them later and to make it easier to see where things start changing, for the better or worse, as you change timings. When stability becomes an issue, try to stabilize with increased voltage, depending on whether the cpu or the memory is the problem. Check out this article for assistance with those types of questions.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/OCguide/

Hope this is the "push" you were asking for. Get started and feel free to post here or PM me with questions and I'm sure that if I can't offer suggestions, the other guys can. Hopefully someone with your board will be able to offer specific info. I am debating getting that board myself, so before long, I might be contacting you for help. Below is another little article for you, which is on point with what you are trying to do.

Memtest86+:
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442

O/C article using memory dividers/ratios:
http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/How-To/Overclocking-Your-P4-800FSB/

Last edited:
Reefa_Madness said:
Just to be sure that you have no other settings, other than stock, that can mess with you, I would start by clearing the BIOS (jumper for this, next to the battery, I believe).

flapper (or anyone), please feel free to butt in at any time here, as I am working off memory, from helping my nephew with his P4P800 (which should be similar) and my experience with this board is limited.

In the BIOS of the Asus there should be a section ("Advanced" maybe?) that allows you to set the "memory frequency", among others. It is probably set at the default of "Auto". Select this and your opions will include, besides Auto, 266, 333, 400, 500 and on his, 533, but I don't think that this one is on your board. Selecting 400 is the 1:1 ratio, 333 is the 5:4 ratio and 266 is the 3:2 ratio. Make your selection (333) and then proceed to changing the memory timings from SPD to Manual, or similar wording. I can not recall if this is also in the same section, but you can find it in your manual if it is not. The point is that you want to be able to dictate these things, like your timings and your cpu speed and others that are currently set to Auto type settings. Make sure that whenever you make changes that you want to keep, that you make the choice to keep them before exiting the BIOS, likewise, if you change something and are not sure, just exit without saving the changes.

After locating where to change your timings, change them to 2-2-2-5, keeping your cpu at 200 and see what happens. You should boot into the BIOS. At this point you might want to run Memtest for just a few loops to be sure that all is well, before proceeding.

Hope this is the "push" you were asking for. Get started and feel free to post here of PM questions and I'm sure that if I can't offer suggestions, the other guys can. Hopefully someone with your board will be able to offer specific info. I am debating getting that board myself, so before long, I might be contacting you for help. Below is another little article for you, which is on point with what you are trying to do.

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/How-To/Overclocking-Your-P4-800FSB/

"perfect"

Well thank you, flapper.

I started to edit some things and my children called me away and before I got back to it you added your statement. Hows about proofing the add'l stuff, since you have the "original" in your post?

Last edited:
your suggestions and ideas really make alot of sense. our friend has alot left in his buffalo and i think you helped him see that and also saved him a from spending alot more money for not much more added performance.

all is right where you said it was.... i have been all through the bios settings,
In my old age I have learned not to mees with what you know nothing about... now, thanks to you guys I can "play" with some sense of security...
I thank you so much for the start..... I will post back with results...

cornholio said:
all is right where you said it was.... i have been all through the bios settings,
In my old age I have learned not to mees with what you know nothing about... now, thanks to you guys I can "play" with some sense of security...
I thank you so much for the start..... I will post back with results...

Well, speaking for myself, and taking the liberties to speak for flapper, you are most welcome. I was not positive about those settings, as I was, as stated before, working off memory but it was only last week that I played with his computer, so it wasn't that long ago. I had the comfort of knowing that if I screwed them up, flapper would correct me, as he has that same board in his arsenal.

flapper is known around here as someone that will lend a hand and offer up advice, based on his experiences and you can count on it being accurate.

I don't have the same level of experience as he does, so my comments you will need to evaluate a little closer, as I may be way off base at times.

And as for the "in my old age" thing...you might be surprised to know how many people's haircuts reveal gray strands.

Take care, have fun and feel free to ask questions. The mailbox is always open, but only checked a couple of times a day. If I don't get back to you right away, I most likely will before the end of the day.

flapperhead said:
your suggestions and ideas really make alot of sense. our friend has alot left in his buffalo and i think you helped him see that and also saved him a from spending alot more money for not much more added performance.

Well, thank you again and your comments are appreciated, but the truth is, and I'm the first to admit it, that most of what I've shared comes from stuff that I have picked up from you and the other guys that have been doing this a lot longer than I have. It seems that you guys have always been there to offer good advice and I am just trying to do my part.

not having much (any) luck at all... I dont know where to start :confused: . I've tried your recommended settings.. plus many variations... I have become a master of the re-boot... but I can't get this CPU to run @3.0 (FSB 250) thats with the 5:4 2-2-2-5...It boots, but windows (XP) will not load, just hangs with extremely slow green "progress" bar.... I'm not sure how to determine the trouble as CPU, Mobo, or mem. or then again the dreaded "human element" (me).
at FSB240 2.8Ghz w/ 2-2-2-5 XP will boot... but memtest has many errors in test #5. ....I don't get it.....
My eyes are blurry from reading post after post... what am I looking for in these error messages? I just don't know how to read it.
My goal is not an extreme by any means (is it?)... I would like this rig to run stable @ 3.0Ghz.
P.S. no temp probs at all, CPU is WC.

Oh... BTW, I also tried using the Ai overclocking.. 5% OC seemed ok..
10%= OC failed....... ???

I need to get straight on a couple of things. Some of this you may have already stated and I missed. My apologies in advance.

Are you running 1:1 memory ratios or 5:4 when you are at 240? Memtest error #5 is memory errors, as opposed to cpu, if my understanding is correct. However, if you are at 240 using 5:4, then your memory in under 200MHz. Try the CAS at 2.5 just to see what happens, if you haven't already, since you know from past experience that it runs at least 200 at that CAS setting.

What kind of voltage are you feeding the cpu and the ram? I would think that the ram wouldn't need any more, but you might want to go ahead and bump it up to your board's max (2.85v?) for the time being, to eliminate it from the list of variables. The cpu, being water cooled (for some reason, I previously thought you were air cooled) should be able to take additional voltage, increase it to around 1.65v or so, if you haven't done so already and give it a whirl at 235 or so and start climbing up gradually (hopefully).

Lock (set) AGP/PCI ata 66/33 so that it doesn't get out of whack as you increase fsb (this is calculated as a % of fsb, unless you lock it at a fixed rate).

Take a couple of aspirins.

Call me in the morning (or just post later here).

Reefa_Madness said:
Are you running 1:1 memory ratios or 5:4 when you are at 240?
I was running 5:4

What kind of voltage are you feeding the cpu and the ram?
The voltages were set to auto.

Lock (set) AGP/PCI ata 66/33 so that it doesn't get out of whack as you increase fsb (this is calculated as a % of fsb, unless you lock it at a fixed rate).This was also set to auto.

Take a couple of aspirins.
Oh... I did.... I did.
UPDATE

now running FSB @ 250. this time I set the Vcore @ 1.625 instead of "auto"
ram timing 5:4 2.5-2-2-5 this time I set the voltage @ 2.75 instead of "auto"
AGP/PCI set at 66/33 instead of "auto"
CPU is at 3.0GHz - bus speed 1000 MHz
and the memory is up at 200MHz (DDR400)

I did 4 passes ( I know more is better) with memtest86+ and no errors.....
so... the differences are. set voltages , instead of "auto"
5:4 2.5-2-2-5 instead of 5:4 2-2-2-5
and AGP/PCI set instead of "auto"

thanks to you I've got a good starting point... Tomorrow I'll play a little more.
thanks so much..... now sleep........

Off to a good start. I feel better now, so I know you must.

Now that you are running at 200Mhz and going with the assumption that you are memory stable (this has not been confirmed, but go with it anyway, since you are at default memory speed) at 2.75v, reduce CAS back to 2 from 2.5 and see what happens. If it fails memtest, then you KNOW that it wont run at CAS 2 and you can cross that off your options list. If it is memtest stable, then do a little dance and bow down to the bh-5 goddess of goodness (don't ask, I don't even know where THAT came from).

Do you have any benchies to run, in order to establish some baselines at 3.0? This would allow you, as you proceed, to quantify improvements or lack thereof. There are several places that I can point you too, including "stickies" in this section that will lead you to free (good thing) benchmarking softwares (SANDRA, 3DMark2001/2003, SuperPi, UT2003, etc.).

Only 6 passes with memtest86+ ... BUT..... I dropped CAS back to 2 and no errors..... so I'm now running 5:4 2-2-2-5 ........ everything else the same.

dance10.gif
B5 <----- dance of joy!!

Your help and support are appreciated so much, I cant put it in words.
but I'l try... thank you, thank you, thank you.
I will run memtest overnight 10-12 hours.. will that be enough? I see some say run it up to 72 hours.... my ram has been running (stock) almost 24/7 for a year now so I guess it's kinda "burned in"..??? ..maybe?
I do have sandra.... which tests do you reccomend?
I did read the stickey... but please feel free to "point" me to your favorites :)

Everyone is saying that Doom3 is not friendly to OC systems... but I have just played for about an hour.... no probs...

cornholio said:
Only 6 passes with memtest86+ ... BUT..... I dropped CAS back to 2 and no errors..... so I'm now running 5:4 2-2-2-5 ........ everything else the same.

dance10.gif
B5 <----- dance of joy!!

Your help and support are appreciated so much, I cant put it in words.
but I'l try... thank you, thank you, thank you.
I will run memtest overnight 10-12 hours.. will that be enough? I see some say run it up to 72 hours.... my ram has been running (stock) almost 24/7 for a year now so I guess it's kinda "burned in"..??? ..maybe?
I do have sandra.... which tests do you reccomend?
I did read the stickey... but please feel free to "point" me to your favorites :)

Everyone is saying that Doom3 is not friendly to OC systems... but I have just played for about an hour.... no probs...

yep the reefa man was right on target with this thread. it was very good advice to stick ur bh5. it still is some of the finest memory out there..

Back