• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New water cooling kit suggestions (please)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KCN

Registered
hi today i decided to overhaul my (old school eheim 1048 3/8"OD tubing etc.) swiftech quietpower rig i.e. completly removing it and flushing/cleaning it. this went well apart from one slight problem (ceramic brush in pump snapped) now i know i can replace this very easily. but now i know i can remove the whole system i'm tempted to transfer it to my second rig and get a more powerful system (better pump, larger tubing, newer block, maybe gfx block.).
so the questions are:
1) would it make a large difference to temps if i did upgrade the system (in part or whole)? as i haven't kept track of recent developments.
2) would a reservoir make alot of difference to a inline system. i'm looking for good OCing proformance and relatively low maininence (so evaporative cooling is out).
3) could you point me in the way of a good water cooling site to make comparrisons between the latest kit.

the system would be used to cool a 2500 barton that needs about 1.95V to hit 2.4GHz. on an abit NF7-s with a 9800se AIW with VGA silencer rev3. currently running at ~45-50 C

thanks for looking at this
KCN

Were the 45-50C cpu temps with the [email protected]@1.95V? I assume you are still using the radiator on the back of the case with the 2x120mm quiet fans.

1) I would guess up to maybe 10C reduction at most and that is with improving the radiator. The work would be fitting a heatercore into your system. Having the watercooling system built to fit the case would be an argument to keep it there and swap the good mobo, cpu, vga, etc. to the other case and fit a new cooling system into it.

2) A good reservoir shouldn't make a difference in water system temps.
3) overclockers.com ?

yeah those temps were with the original rad and fans. sadly it was also with very old water with quite alot of bubbles. will be able to re test with clean sytem and new coolant as soon as i can fix the pump. thanks for that about the res. yeah having it already buitlt into the case is a big plus. but i would like to keep the case for my main rig because of the airflow and space.
yeah i have looked at overclockers but i was looking for more scope than just the one site. (not that i don't listen to overclockers)
thanks KCN

[edit: Also i want to have a play with a more aggressive kit as i have no intention of upgrading hardware till either intel or AMD sort themselves out, and want to see how far the barton will go]

If you were to keep the swiftech tranny-cooler radiator in your main case, I think that would be the biggest weakness in a new system especially for cpu and gpu watercooling.

A solution would be to replace the case on the second computer with a new one that you really like then make the case with the built-in cooling your second rig. Transfer components as needed. Moving that swiftech rad to another case will be work and I think it'd leave an ugly hole in the back of your current case.

Back