• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram choice for 3.0C and AI7 combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos_Being

I'm going to be building my wife a new system soon, and just like when I built my pc last year I'm a bit stumped on what ram to get (it doesn't help that I have not been keeping up with what memory is good/available since then either!)

Like in the subject, I plan on matching a 3.0c with an Abit AI7. My goal is to reach 250fsb to get a nice 3.7ghz on the cpu. I want to try to get that at the 1:1 ratio versus the 5:4 (although I was considering it when I first wrote this post,) as I don't think I"ll save that much money getting pc3500- I think I can afford to shell out for some nice pc4000.

So I'm looking for suggestions. I definitely want 1 GB of ram. My price range is going to be around $150 per 512mb stick, lower price preferable of course :) I can probably afford to pay a bit more than that if its really worth it, but I'd prefer not to.

I use Buffalo in my machine and I've liked it, even though it doesn't really reach the pc3700 speeds it is supposed to. From browsing through the forums again, it looks like OCZ, Crucial, and maybe AData are the big buys now?

Please help :)

Last edited:
Just from some quick reading here, for pc4000 Crucial Ballistix look pretty damn sweet. Any other good & cheap pc4000 out there, and how does it compare performance and pricewise to this ram?

Last edited:
That OCZ EL pc4000 is some pretty tempting stuff too, and it costs about the same as the Crucial Ballistix. Does anyone have a comparison between the two, or other suggestions for good pc4000?

Thanks for the suggestions so far :)

Between the OCZ EL and ADATA PC4200, i would choose the Adata. OCB EB will be the best out of the 3. Adata pc4200 will garuntee the 1:1 ratio, and the cost of it is fairly cheap, i believe 260 for 1 gig.

The Adata PC4200 (with Hynix chips?) has been performing real well, by most accounts. With the Adata from Komusa, be sure that you select the "Adata" option from the "Brand Option" drop down menu. It currently goes for $257/gig.

Komusa's Adata PC4200:
http://www.komusa.com/1gbkit5pc53d1.html

This review includes the Crucial Ballistix, as well as several of the new Samsung IC based ram that have just recently come out. The Corsair, for example, can be had without the Pro LED lights for right around $285. Any of these would probably cause you to switch ram with your wife, you get the new stuff and she gets the Buffalo Tech ram. :)

Ram Review (includes Ballistix):
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2145

Representative from Samsung IC group (Corsair):
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-523&depa=1

The Adata PC4200 (with Hynix chips?) has been performing real well, by most accounts. With the Adata from Komusa, be sure that you select the "Adata" option from the "Brand Option" drop down menu. It currently goes for $257/gig.

Wow, that is a really great deal for pc4200! I've read some good things about the Adata in the past, and now too as I just browsed through the memory boards. I just assumed it was expensive...very nice price/performance ratio. I think I found the memory I'm going to buy.

Any of these would probably cause you to switch ram with your wife, you get the new stuff and she gets the Buffalo Tech ram.

Hehe well I was planning on trying it out in my rig...I"ve been stuck at the infamous 275fsb wall on my IC7, which supposedly is usually caused by ram incompatibility. I just haven't had any other ram to try out- if this Adata can get my 2.4c further, then it may end up staying in my rig. I'd be curious to see what my BH-5 Buffalo could do with the increased vdimm the AI7 can provide as well. BH-5 loves volts, and all I've been able to give it is 2.8. If anything I know its good for up to 275fsb 5:4 at that voltage...I severely doubt I"m getting a 3.0 up that far :p

Thanks for the link Reefa_Madness, much appreicated :)

Edit: ordered a gig of A-data brand, lets see how this goes!

Last edited:
Chaos_Being said:
I severely doubt I"m getting a 3.0 up that far

Edit: ordered a gig of A-data brand, lets see how this goes!

Might not get that 3.0 quite that high, but you always run it to the bh-5's max at 1:1, with fast timings and have a nice performing rig for her.

And good luck with the A-data. Let us know how they do for you.

By the way...did you get heatspreaders? If not, would you mind posting what chips and mfg. date you got? Several of the guys, including me, like to follow what chips are getting shipped with the various ram.

Back