• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these is the better pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stash22

Hiya, I would like to know which pump is the better one?

The DD D4 Pump or the Iwaki 30RZT?

Edit: LOL your right Thorilan :D
Ok Which one would give better performance (lower temps) in this setup:

Pump->Thermochill 102.3 Rad->DD TDX (socekt 478)->DD 6800 WB->DD Maze 4 Chipset WB->Pump

(Side note I could prolly do 2 DD4's in series for around the same price as the Iwaki...interesting possibility ) :D

Last edited:
it does not help to ask this kind of question without giving some background on what you need.
would you ask which is better a corvette or a mercedes without saying what you are looking for in a car?

I would say the DD Laing D4, because of the smaller size, cheaper and is 12V.

Even if you have a heavilly restricted setup, I would recommend 2X Laing D4 over one Iwaki.

I don't know his setup true.... but with all those people here swiching from iwaki to Laing D4/mcp650 I can say my opinion.

I'm going with a cube case, The UFO-2 From Mountainmods.com
and PCP&C Turbo 510 Deluxe PSU.

but with all those people here swiching from iwaki to Laing D4/mcp650
umn i dont see anyone switching.

the cost factor alone proves to be to much and if you have ever tried a iwaki you wouldnt switch and pay more money just to hook up 2 D4 just for the diminished returns unless you are completely hardcore.

the head rating on a 30RZT (looks at his 30RZT) is 36 freaking feet

if you have the space and feel like going all out (the rest of your equipment is very expensive too, so I have a feeling you do) then get the iwaki :) It has 5/8" threads though so plan for that.

Stash22 said:
I'm going with a cube case, The UFO-2 From Mountainmods.com
and PCP&C Turbo 510 Deluxe PSU.

:drool:

Thorilan: Have you seen "The beast II" Tread ???

6 months ago I could agreed with you that Iwaki was the pump to get. But now with the release of new 12V pump like DD D4 12V, I really don't think Iwaki are on it.

1) They are 200$ VS 75$ for the DD (you can can near 3 DD for the price)
2) They are big big big!
3) They are 110V, so you must to have a relay.
4) They put a lot mot heat in the loop that a 12V

With his setup, there is abo****ely no need for a 36 feet head pump.

Even if you have a heavilly restricted setup, I would recommend 2X Laing D4 over one Iwaki.

and you see threads with titles like D4 problems. you never see iwaki problems or blueline problems. and if you want high pressure there is a need depending on what you are doing . and if you run 2 D4 you want either a beefy suply because of sonstant line use or a second small psu just for them though honestly i would not get a iwaki for the edited first post set up the point was when his first post was made that it was impossible to tell what he wantedd to judge what was better.

thorilan said:
honestly i would not get a iwaki for the edited first post set up the point was when his first post was made that it was impossible to tell what he wantedd to judge what was better.

For that point, I agree with you :)

For the power supply, I really think his PCP&C Turbo 510 PSU will handle this :eek:

Right - let me start by saying that I believe that almost no block on the market, given everything else (rads, tubing, etc) being setup correctly, will benefit in any significant fashion from using a pump much more powerful than either a 60Hz Iwaki MD-20RZ, or a 50Hz Iwaki MD-30RZ. Once you get to that level of pumping power then you basically hit the point of rapidly diminishing returns for which the extra pump heat from using an even stronger pump results in the pump's heat making for warmer water that pretty much always overwhelms any small gains seen due to increased waterblock performance, unless one has an immensely powerful radiator setup (substantially better than a Thermochill 120.3) or a water chiller.

I suppose as a somewhat dumb rule of thumb for pump:radiator power ratio is no more than 20W of nominal rated pump wattage power per 12x12cm of radiator area. There's a LOT of caveats to that ratio, but if you wanted to do a quick and dirty sanity check, it's probably a fairly useful tool to use unless you REALLY get into the nuts and bolts of matching pump to radiator while taking block and fan characteristics into account.

For a 120.3, I personally wouldn't use more than the suggested 2 x D4's in series, or for an Iwaki, nothing more powerful than a 60Hz Iwaki MD-20RZ.

Back