• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to shorten my tubing..Problem..Need a solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

In my haste to get my computer up ASAP so I can start gettin in on some Doom 3 action, I acidentally sized a section of tubing, and now I can't put on the side panel of my case without causing a kink in the line.

I already filled the system with water, and my system is up an running so it's no long a simple matter of disconnecting the hose and cutting a little bit off.

I was wondering if anybody ever done this before, or have any ideas on how I can remove a small section of tubing without having to drain the system.

I was thinking of cutting a small peice of where it is connected to the barbs and slide the hose in more after I take that piece off, but I did a dry run on a spare bard and hose I had with a knife and it seems like this would be pretty difficult to do.

Does anybody have any other ideas, or know any tools I can use to do this? Thanks.

give me a picture of your barbs on both side of the tubes. if they are metal then its not dificult at all but requires some skill with an exacto knife. i have done this many times.

only do it if you have steady hands and metal barbs.
firs you cut the horizontal line that runs paralel to the original cut ( DO NOT CUT PERPENDICULAR YET OR YOU ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

once you have at least half the fist cut around the barb then you can make the perpendicular cut from the center area of the original cut so that you get 2 equal and even flaps.
you then can peel and cut the flaps but you will get a tiny bit of leaking possibly. do not be alarmed. just make sure the system is covered with a towel first. once oyu make it completely around and are finished shimmy up the tube and check to make sure its the correct lenght . if not repeat process

its better to take off a little at a time so you dont over cut btw

Last edited:
same problem as me, I drained mine and once the elbows arrive I'm installing those...if you are afraid of wasting the water, take the cooling out, put in bathtub and cut the piece there and handle it there maybe.

The tube I am trying to cut actually goes from my GPU to the t-fitting. I am thinking of cutting it at the t-fitting.

My system loop goes as follows:

pump -> HC -> CPU Block -> BIX -> GPU Block -> T-line -> pump

The t fitting I have is those grey t fittings you find in the plumbing section of home depot. They're made of pretty thick plastic, possibly PVC.

Will try to get a picture of it, but all I have right now is the crappy camera on my cell phone.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the tubing I have is the ClearFlex60 tubing.

ok if the plastic is the hard standard kind then oyu are good as long as its not the nylon kind you see at the popular WC sites that is partialy clear or opaque

I had the same problem with too long of a tubing so I ended up draining the system due to fear of water damaging my system, loss of exacto knife (I had 6 of them, all gone when I need them, wierd). I just drained all of it into a bowl, cut the tubing, fit it back on and used a HUGE eyedropper to fill up the res again. Only took like 30 min.

Btw, your gfx card idle temp is more than it's load temp. :confused:

Side panel? We don't need no stinkin side panel!! :)

Ok back on topic, by how much is the tube too long? Is it just an inch or two or are we talking several inches?

Cyberwiz01 said:
Side panel? We don't need no stinkin side panel!! :)

Ok back on topic, by how much is the tube too long? Is it just an inch or two or are we talking several inches?

I'm talking only one to two inches I need to take off. Maybe even just half an inch, so its not that much. The line does not totally block off waterflow, I had it running with the side panel on played Doom 3 with the kink in the line and temps pretty much are the same as without the kink.

klath said:
I had the same problem with too long of a tubing so I ended up draining the system due to fear of water damaging my system, loss of exacto knife (I had 6 of them, all gone when I need them, wierd). I just drained all of it into a bowl, cut the tubing, fit it back on and used a HUGE eyedropper to fill up the res again. Only took like 30 min.

I was considering this option, but if possible I don't want to go through the trouble of refilling, bleeding and leak checking my system again, especially when I just got a good way into Doom 3. I would hate to pause the game for a day or to to do all this.

klath said:
Btw, your gfx card idle temp is more than it's load temp. :confused:

Oops, just edited my sig for the new gfx card, should be the other way around. Thanks for pointing that out.

As for cutting the tubing on the barb, to make things a little simpler/safer, I was thinking of purchasing one of these to do the cut that is parallel to the original tube cut.

Back