• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Serial Presence Detect (SPD) in Bios Accurate and Reliable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fateshammer

Like the title says.
I go to advanced chipset features in bios, then set the timings to 'By SPD', and the values given are way off from the manufacturer's stock rated specs. Kingston officially rates my HyperX KHX3200AK2/1G as 2-2-3-6 at 3200 and the bios SPD gives me 2.5-3-3-8. This is using both the stock D24 and D25-CPC On by Merlin bioses. I was stumped so I set the timings to 2-2-3-6 at 200FSB which is the stock rating and upped the VDimm to 2.9v, I can boot into Windows and able to run Sandra. But then I ran Memtest86 v3.1a and sure enough...BOOOOM! Errors galore at test #3 and #5. I can run it fine and error free at 2.5-3-3-11 but the fact that what I got isn't really what is actually rated stock timings by Kingston doesn't really feel right. Is there any other way of making sure and finding out if the timings really are at the manuf specs in addition to what I did as stated above? Any insights, recommendations appreciated.

Back