• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help ASAP w/ wc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beau_zo_brehm

ok, after hours of hard work trying to get a socket 478 waterblock to fit an lga775, after getting a 865 chipset waterblock to fit a 925, and finally after getting an ati radeon agp waterblock to fit a pci-e x600xt THE DAMN THING WONT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok, the pump turns on, and actually the watercooling system seems to be working great; after i put everything back in the case and reinstalled the motherboard, i turned the power on and all the fans started stuttering (even the psu fan). the monitor stayed black and the computer didnt POST. im not sure if one of the blocks might be touching a chip and causing a short circuit (dont think so), i dunno if my psu dosnt have enough power (500w) i dont think so though, because all i installed was 2 more fans for the radiator. the pump is connected to the wall outlet. i really dont know why its not working! i unplugged all the fans and it still just stutterd. I did have an alarm setup to have the computer shutdown if the fan wasnt running, but i plugged the cpu fan in to trick the damn thing.

i reeeaally need help, the computer worked absolutely fine before i installed the watercooling system. this is my first watercooling system and the first time ive built a computer so i have no experience doing this. i just know that yesterday it worked and today it dosnt. all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Beau

it makes me feel selfish when i bump my own thread, especially only after 10 minutes but theres 36 people viewing this forum and not 1 has even viewed my thread. i dont care if im being patranoid but i need help!

first of all try the cmos reset.
also double cheak all connectors.
also only use only required parts like ram and psu and vga card.
make sure you plug a fan into the cpu fan header.sometimes they wont boot without it.

try and power the psu by itself to make sure its working by useing the jumper method.
also may need to disassemble it all and run it outside the case and off the mobo backing plate and plce mobo on cardboard and try and boot with only the bare necessities again.

could be one in a million things going on. im just trying to give a fewi know off the top my head.

deathstar13 said:
first of all try the cmos reset.
also double cheak all connectors.
also only use only required parts like ram and psu and vga card.
make sure you plug a fan into the cpu fan header.sometimes they wont boot without it.

try and power the psu by itself to make sure its working by useing the jumper method.
also may need to disassemble it all and run it outside the case and off the mobo backing plate and plce mobo on cardboard and try and boot with only the bare necessities again.

could be one in a million things going on. im just trying to give a fewi know off the top my head.

ok, i had the cpu fan header connected and i started unplugging my fans, cold cathode and hard drive. i didnt think of reseting the cmos though! ill be back with an update in a few minutes.

Beau

i always reset the cmos before ever installing.
i dont know why but ive had issues liek this when i didnt.
doesnt mean im gonna be right either :D

deathstar13 said:
i always reset the cmos before ever installing.
i dont know why but ive had issues liek this when i didnt.
doesnt mean im gonna be right either :D

ok being as this was the first time i ever reset the cmos i want to make sure i did it right before i say your wrong. (i know im a newb)

ok with all the power turned off u switch the cap header onto the default cmos position. then u turn the computer on. i turned my computer on and i didnt get any power. i turned it off, and then put the cmos back how i found it. i turned the computer on and the fans started stuttering again.

Beau

nope.

you turn it all off,power psu off also.
move the jumper to clear for 5-10 seconds.
replace back to default running jumpers.
power everything back up.

Sounds like a power supply issue to me.

Even on a dead system that starts up and doesnt post, the power supply fans should be turning normally.

Did you check your power supply?
1. Short the green wire and any black wire on the supply
2. plug it in and turn it on

If the fans still stutter, it must be your power supply.
If they turn fine, then I'm willing to bet either loose connection to the motherboard (cause for stuttering), or you neglected to plug something in.

deathstar13 said:
nope.

you turn it all off,power psu off also.
move the jumper to clear for 5-10 seconds.
replace back to default running jumpers.
power everything back up.

still didnt work :(

Pro*Banshee said:
Sounds like a power supply issue to me.

Even on a dead system that starts up and doesnt post, the power supply fans should be turning normally.

Did you check your power supply?
1. Short the green wire and any black wire on the supply
2. plug it in and turn it on

If the fans still stutter, it must be your power supply.
If they turn fine, then I'm willing to bet either loose connection to the motherboard (cause for stuttering), or you neglected to plug something in.

the fans stutter. wouldnt u think a 500w psu should be fine? "1. Short the green wire and any black wire on the supply" ehh? :confused: what do u mean?

Roboman101 said:
my antec 430w bit the dust and did that same thing, also after taking my system apart and everything also

umm.... end of story? what did u do after that? did u fix it? cmon details damnit :bang head

im not mad at u, just impatient stressed and tired ;)

ive had weird occurances when not every screw is placed in the motherboard. make sure u have it completely tightened onto the mobo tray sometimes if one screw is missing it could mean its slightly bent and cause a short. but im willing to bet its ur PSU, with watercooling its usually a safe bet to stay around 480 and a good brand as well.

do u think my waterblocks could be touching something they're not suppossed to and causing the system to short circuit? but as previously stated by banshee the psu fan should still be spinning fine, shouldnt it?

toorude said:
ive had weird occurances when not every screw is placed in the motherboard. make sure u have it completely tightened onto the mobo tray sometimes if one screw is missing it could mean its slightly bent and cause a short. but im willing to bet its ur PSU, with watercooling its usually a safe bet to stay around 480 and a good brand as well.

500w power supply. when the pc was running fine on air i checked the 12 v and 5 v and they were running at 12.2 and 5.4 which seems real good to me. i will go ahead and start tightening the screws on the mobo more.

beau_zo_brehm said:
the fans stutter. wouldnt u think a 500w psu should be fine? "1. Short the green wire and any black wire on the supply" ehh? :confused: what do u mean?

take a wire and connect the green and the black wire on the mobo connector, then switch the psu on. it makes the psu think you pushed the power button on the case

SomaGaze said:
take a wire and connect the green and the black wire on the mobo connector, then switch the psu on. it makes the psu think you pushed the power button on the case

ok, well my question iss.... why dont i just press the power button on the case? would this make a difference?

Pro*Banshee said:
Motherboard could interfere with the startup, which is why the fans stutter

ok, the cpu waterblock is touching a nearby capacitator. is that a problem? i dont know how else im going to mount that waterblock....

:cry::mad::cry:

beau_zo_brehm said:
ok, well my question iss.... why dont i just press the power button on the case? would this make a difference?

you are troubleshooting. if you power up the psu with it shorted, and it works, you have found the motherboard to be the problem. if you still get the stuttering fans, it is most likely something electrical, or the psu is borked all together

Back