• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ PC3200 Plat. Rev 2 - available now!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
yes i saw that review.very impressive.. these modules will fit the needs of almost all but the most extreme maniacs that want 300+. wonder how fast they will go at 3.2volts??

Let me think a minute...do I know any extreme maniac constantly in quest of 300fsb???

Wait! There is a name that comes to mind, now who is that? Oh Yeah!

ITS YOU, FLAPPER!!!

Talk about the perfect self-portrait. j/k (somewhat :) )

Who cares...sell your soul in exchange for the mighty megahertz!

(pause, wipes drool from chin)

To me, the Ballistic memory is the most impressive. Hard to do 250+ fsb at 2.5-2-2-5 timings, although Bigtoe says only one date of -5B Gs are capable of doing this.

2.5-3-3-5 timings is not that fast, not faster than 3-2-3-5. You need to get the two middle specs as low as possible. And 2-3-3-6 is about as fast as 3-2-3-5.

For each person to learn the importance of timings, do this sometime: take your ram and run 200 fsb, 3:2 on the ram for 133 mhz operation. Most ram nowadays will be able to run the following timings at this low fsb: 2-2-2-5, 2.5-2-2-5, 3-2-2-5, 3-2-3-5, 3-3-3-5, 2.5-3-3-5, 2.5-4-3-5, and 2-3-3-6. Compare 3DMark scores and you will see where each timing stands. The results may surprise you ;) .

It certainly looks like Crucial is wising up and supplying cherry picked sticks :p. And putting on those useless heat spreaders so nobody can pick dates .

Another thing on that review: the only test that might be a good ram test is Aquamark, but it's a short test and some ram can sneak through.

I didn't read the review that well and correct me if I'm wrong, but there was no indication of 5:4 or 3:2 capability. All the Sammy sticks I played with wouldn't do 5:4 at all.

yes well you have a point on the timings there. but timings stop mattering so much once you get up higher in mhz. and since not many people run their ram at 133 mhz these days, timings don't hold a candle to raw speed.

Shuzzy said:
yes well you have a point on the timings there. but timings stop mattering so much once you get up higher in mhz. and since not many people run their ram at 133 mhz these days, timings don't hold a candle to raw speed.

But you do agree that 255, 1:1, 2.5-2-2-5 with ram A is faster in 3DMark2001 than 255, 1:1 3-2-2-5 with ram B? Of course it is, but not as much as you think. Macci himself agrees with this and I know he don't run at 133 mhz.

The point of the 133 mhz was just to pick a mhz where all the ram timings can be run with any ole ram - ram your Grandma has in her rig - to compare relative 3DMark scores. I would run the test at 250, 1:1 except hard to find ram that can run all those timings there with realistic voltages. Heck my XMS3500 can run 2-2-2-5 there but it don't like relaxed timings whatsoever.

I agree with you clevor... since the quest for "Toaster Sigs" began every man and his dog as been getting the "fastest" possible RAM and using 2.5-4-4-8 timings to get there. No matter how high you go, tighter timings will ALWAYS be faster.

This is a bit off topic but for those interested... New PC3700gold rev3+4000gold rev2

clevor, so only certain ballistix can achieve those timings? i was planning on getting either the ballistix or the ocz rev2 but decided on getting the ballistix due to the great timings on at high fsb and of course the value of the ram ( under 300 for a gig!) if they really aren't able to achieve those timings as suggested in anandtech's review i think i'd have to with the rev2's

Reefa_Madness said:
As that saying goes..."if you want it, come and get it". The good stuff is now at newegg for $335/gig, which I must admit, was less than I expected.

I bet it will run like a bat out of Hades, but you guys will have to tell me all about it.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-890&depa=1

For those few not familiar with the ram, I've added a link to Anandtech's recent review of the Samsung based ram.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2145

since when is a gig of PC3200 for $335 considered "cheap?" BH-5's when it was highly sought after "only" costs around $400 on ebay and it is PC3500. I thought my gig of Eb3700 for $307 was rough.

thats why i'm leaning towards buying the ballistics from crucial themselves. if you buy a matched pair you even get 4% off and its well under 300 (like 270)

nocturnal714 said:
thats why i'm leaning towards buying the ballistics from crucial themselves. if you buy a matched pair you even get 4% off and its well under 300 (like 270)

dont forget u might get taxed in most states, that's if you're from the states. So a gig of Ballistix with tax (if applicable) will run u about a little more than 300 after tax and discounts. They arent very good overlockers at all as I have tried a pair myself. But then its just my bad luck.

situman said:
dont forget u might get taxed in most states, that's if you're from the states. So a gig of Ballistix with tax (if applicable) will run u about a little more than 300 after tax and discounts. They arent very good overlockers at all as I have tried a pair myself. But then its just my bad luck.
very interesting, its so funny how on anandtechs review they make seem like they can overclock greatly :confused:

situman said:
since when is a gig of PC3200 for $335 considered "cheap?" BH-5's when it was highly sought after "only" costs around $400 on ebay and it is PC3500. I thought my gig of Eb3700 for $307 was rough.

When did I use the work "cheap" in any part of my post???

I just stated that is was less than I expected.

OCZ makes very fine products and they are priced accordingly. I figured it would be closer to the $350-$400 range, only because it was new and probably in high demand, like the DDR Booster. Cheap and OCZ are seldom used in the same phrase. :)

If and when those Samsung chips make it to KVR, with MIR, then it will be "cheap" enough for me to consider it. Until then, I'm just going to have to sit on the sidelines and watch the rest of you guys play.

Reefa_Madness said:
When did I use the work "cheap" in any part of my post???

I just stated that is was less than I expected.

OCZ makes very fine products and they are priced accordingly. I figured it would be closer to the $350-$400 range, only because it was new and probably in high demand, like the DDR Booster. Cheap and OCZ are seldom used in the same phrase. :)

If and when those Samsung chips make it to KVR, with MIR, then it will be "cheap" enough for me to consider it. Until then, I'm just going to have to sit on the sidelines and watch the rest of you guys play.

I apologize for not being illiterate. :D

Back