• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86 Test #5 Only?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPetrillo

I'm starting to overclock my new system (sig) and I'm trying to hit my FSB max right now, and burn it in. When ever I got my settings too high I only get errors in test #5 so is it okay to burn it in just repeating test #5 instead of them all?

Basically right now I'm at that point where if I move up only 1 or 2MHz I'll get errors, and then when I move back down 1 or 2MHz I dont get any again. So with me being right at that border line (just 2MHz low from getting errors) where I'm at now is it okay just to have it repeat test #5 for a few hours. It almost seems like all the others are usless... I never get errors besides in #5.

Thanks.

Test 5 is the "harshest" in MT86. Give more volts if you can, or just run Prime for a good 6-8 hours. IF it passes this then its stable :)
Burn in might work, just use lower FSB and max volts :)

Yeah, I got the max volts for memory, I'll just run prime for a while since I stated messing with the multi now :)

Thanks

Test 5 is the hardest test, if you can't pass this test over time you're computer will go screwy. The reality is if you can't pass test 1-3, you shouldn't be able to install windows. Test 4 doesn't really do much. Test 5 is where you're really testing the ram, games and such will run but as you go on, say 2 months; your computer will get corrupted to the point where it won't boot.

k, well I ran test 5 only for about 2 hours earlier today with no errors at 240MHz, but then I up it to 242MHz - only a 2MHz increase and I get like 100 errors in test 5 - I HATE that!

Anyways, I'm letting it run again, this time on all 10 test's, gonna let it go overnight. So far its been going for 1.5 hours and is on Pass 3 with 0 errors.

heh. I'm leaving for vacation now for one week. Is it safe to leave sandra cpu burn in running, or memory burn in running while I'm gone? If so, which one?

I'd Run the SANDRA burn in wizard and set it to do all CPU tests, memory and the chipset/cache test. That'll give your CPU, motherboard and memory a work out. And make sure to fold while you're at it, to make sure the system is fully stressed. If you want you can run 3Dmark2001 to help stress the AGP card too.

Well I'm talking about just letting it run for almost a week straight without getting turned off while im away.

I'll do sandras burn in wizard with:

CPU Arthmetic bench
CPU Multi-Media bench
Memory Bandwidth bench
Cache & Memory bench

Those 4, sound okay/good?

The only thing is - I *cannot* set it to stop if it reaches over a certin temp, ect. because if I set it to "Terminate on overheat/failure (saftey use)" then it will only run one time - wich is like 5 seconds long lol - and then terminate because it thinks my CPU voltage is too low at 1.45V :rolleyes:

Edit: Says - Warning 235: "Vcore less than rated minimum. Check your Vcore setting!"

Last edited:
JPetrillo said:
Well I'm talking about just letting it run for almost a week straight without getting turned off while im away.

I'll do sandras burn in wizard with:

CPU Arthmetic bench
CPU Multi-Media bench
Memory Bandwidth bench
Cache & Memory bench

Those 4, sound okay/good?

The only thing is - I *cannot* set it to stop if it reaches over a certin temp, ect. because if I set it to "Terminate on overheat/failure (saftey use)" then it will only run one time - wich is like 5 seconds long lol - and then terminate because it thinks my CPU voltage is too low at 1.45V :rolleyes:

Edit: Says - Warning 235: "Vcore less than rated minimum. Check your Vcore setting!"

Just set in the BIOS the turn off temp for your chip. I have mine at 80 or 85.
I was also talking about those programs running non stop for a week. Just set 3D2k1 to loop and sandra to loop and just let folding run in the back. Your system will be giving off maximum heat. Heat from the video card, chipset, ram, motherboard power components and CPU.

Yeh those are the four that I would use.

Memtest test #5 is great. It's the first thing I run after overclocking. In one minute, I usually know if the system is stable or not.

I just got back :)

Sandra Ran on those 5 tests over 12,000 times, max CPU temp was 35, average 32. I left 3DMark 2001 going too, but for some reason it wasnt on :confused:

when I run memtest86 I also use test #5. Has anyone ever had an error after let's say 20 cycles? On my system it takes about a half hour and I have yet to see an error after about 30 minutes. Is it safe to say that if you get through 20 cycles without error that you most likely won't get one?

hehe, you guys are lucky, my computer freezes during test 5... But it still works with everything else I do, never a problem.

It freezes 87% through the test each time... So I'm thinking there must be a problem with my memory or something..

Back