• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What memory is best for this board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White Rain

I am looking to upgrade my computer, and am thinking about getting, Asus P5AD2 Premium Motherboard with Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT Technology Extreme 3.4GHz Processor and am wanting to get 2Gigs of ram, I'm wondering what would be the best ram suited for this board at the fastest speed possible (and am looking to overclock a little). Any help would be greatly appriciated.
:)

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket775/p5ad2-p/overview.htm

P5AD2 Premium
Intel 925X chipset
Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
Dual-Channel DDR2 533
Intel PAT
PCI Express Architecture
Wireless LAN onboard
Dual Gigabit LAN
1394b/a

The link has some more information about it, not sure if it will be of any use, it says it is ddr2 - 600 native ... am thinking it overclocks 533 to 600 as default, not sure though. I'm not a power overclocker by any means. I would like to be but don't know enough about it, although I do overclock w/ the AI overclocking options that the asus boards have and use coolbits to oc my vid card. Other than that I'm pretty clueless about the whole ordeal.

So I want memory that would be able to be stable in an overclocked enviroment and am wanting 2 gigs, fastest possible for the board of course, and only looking to spend about 400, maybe up to 500 but unsure, would like to keep it close to 400 if possible maybe a smidge over. Whenever I've tried to look up to find any information about the ddr2-600 all i get is links going back to retailers selling that exact board. So trying to find the info on my own is like hitting my head against a brick wall. :bang head

Am appriciative of any information you guys are willing to throw my way. Thnx :p

The new OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 are nice, but Buffalo PC3200 Micron C are nice as well :D. Also wouldn't the ABIT IS7 or A17 along with a 2.4C, 2.8C, or 3.0C be a better/cheaper choice?

Have never used ABIT, but system I currently have is using a P4C800 Deluxe from Asus, and I'm really pleased with the AI overclocking features being I don't know a lot about overclocking myself, I know of it, just not how to do it properly. The new board I mentioned above not only has the same type of overclocking features as the board I'm using now but also has a feature where it ramps up the preformance even more when using a demanding program NOS feature (Nitrus Oxide for cars) is what they named it after because it's supposed to be the burst of speed when you need it most type of thing rather than all the time.
Abit may be cheaper but asus definately has my loyalty for being a really good preformer and making things really easy on me (noob in the OC world) to break into...
Can go in and tweak things manually as I figure them out but still have an OC'd system in the meantime until I do.

I was looking at some of the OCZ ram but it's a tad out of my pricerange, over 300 a gig, and I'm wanting to get 2 gig for about 400.

Well IMO it's rather easy to get the basics of OCing down since there are so many online references to look to if you need help. The Buffalo ram I listed is 85.95 for 512MB and you can find it at www.tblmemory.com, just make sure when you order you tell them you want the C revision. The customer service is really good there.

Is the ram that you are talking about for that price Dual-Channel DDR2 533? If it is I can't seem to find it.

Yeah, the board says it takes ddr2, and i want to get the fastest possible for a decent price that won't hinder overclocking
(Don't want to put more money in than have to to get top end IE buy said brand just for bragging rights)

Back