• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will memory timings ever be a bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

As long as faster (more efficient) CPU's, better video cards, and higher FSB speeds are availible will CAS Latency ever be a big bottleneck in performance?
I'm asking because I've always ran my memory at pretty tight timings, but I just upgraded to a gig of memory and it wont run with very tight timings (it runs at 2.5-3-3-11) so I'm paranoid about it.

The cost of going from 2-2-2-11 to 2.5-3-3-11 on and nForce2 board is ~2 to 2.5% at ~200 FSB. That translates directly into FSB speed, for example a 200 FSB using 2-2-2-11 and a 204-205 FSB at 2.5-3-3-11 should be equal in performance. This is different than numbers associated with older memory and boards based on VIA KT333 chipset you'll hear quoted. :cool:

Tight timings are becoming less important than they used to be, assuming you don't go to timings like 4-5-5-11. :attn:

Last edited:
Back