• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone running dual Bonnevilles?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

i'm about half done mounting my '77 bonneville into my case.
Anyways, i was just wondering if anyone here has more than one in their loop...and what their temps are, if they do.

External/internal welcom,e but internal is bonus points.
I actually plan on having multiple '77 Bonneville cores in my case someday, and thats why i thought to ask.

Oh, and incase nobody does, also a quick question....will running the same air through multiple heatercores dissipate more heat?
if one core was mounted and used as intake, and other as exaust, would the exaust still dissapate worthy amounts of heat? i'm thinking of relatively slow-moving air, so would the intake rad pretty much heat up the air to the point where the air is useless for cooling?

Well you could run into the problem that the air could heat up enough that the air possible could heat the watter in the second rad. The HC can only take temps down to ambient temps, so if the air going through it is hot then their could be issues. Also if you are going to try 2 of them, you are not going to be able to play the 1 fan for all game. I would seriously suggest 2 fans on both. If sound is an issue then rig up some panflos on 7v. I have one of those HCs in the front of my case right now. I will be making a external case here soon with two mounted in it. This is to cool the server I am building and my main rig. Not sure if you are going to use 2 in one case to cool one cpu, gpu, and chipset, but that seems a little much. Don't get me wrong, I love overkill (keeps us modders happy :) ), but these HCs are pretty big and it was a job to get one in my comp. Well good luck to you. Not sure if that helps any. If you pull it off, show us some pics.

well i have been thinking about two rads kinda the way you want to setup and here is what i was thinking... but it would have to external.... it would require 4fans though two on each but here is how i was going to have it work..... take the first rad the one in the back and put the HOT loop into it first then the other rad at the front get the water from the other one...so the heating as devil said would not happen but you would need to use two fans on each...

to devil when you/if you use both.... to mount them laying down and have feet hold it off the ground/case so hot air is pushed down and should reduce the size somewhat..to make an somewhat airtight seal from rad-rad use the vantec vibration seals that should work... then cut out one section from each one and glue them together...

i only wish i could draw better then i could show you both whats stuck in my head ...

with the feet on the case it should be possible to add a second one of these there...

thats where i plan on putting rad #3 eventually. (overkill IS fin, isnt it?)

I never throught about heating UP the water. never even crossed my mind... i'll have to make sure that all of the rads get fresh air. if nothing else i can duct them to a small exaust somewhere. (using low airflow opens up some amazing possibilities...dont have to worry about air restriction so much...just that hot air rises, and not to fight it)

Asuming?

DeViL_909 said:
Well you could run into the problem that the air could heat up enough that the air possible could heat the watter in the second rad. luck to you. Not sure if that helps any. If you pull it off, show us some pics.

Thats assuming you are blowing the same air over the second core. What about a configuration where the two cores are stacked vertically and series together? Iflow top of core one, outflow core one to inflow core two, you gt my drift? I am looking at just such a configuration. I have an IBM S702 server case that has an ideal area that is approximately 22 inches tall. I think I can stack 2 here, run 4 x 120mm fans, and dial in the flow/noise I want .

I just finnished an external box with dual bonnevilles. They are stacked with a single 10" fan cooling both. The temps seem to be 4C lower than a single core. I used 1/8 foam weather stripping to seal between and around the cores.
BoxRear.jpg

BoxClose.jpg

I think dual bonnies would start mounting the resistance. Two single pass cores wouldn't hurt, but then again the high performance blocks are usually the big reducer of flow. Unless you have a powerful pump or two in series, I think a 3rd bonnie wouldn't improve temps much at all.

If you stack two rads, just make sure to put the one that gets water 1st is on the exhaust side of the other rad. If water temps were around 35C and ambient was 22c, the water would first go into a rad cooled with <34C air (and cool down some), then hit the second rad cooled by 22C air. You'd loose some airflow, but the airflow you had would essentially be more efficient - extracting more heat per cfm.

I can't remember who it was, but the person who first used the 48v blower used it with two rads, single pass cores IRC. Its the same as with two waterblocks - cooling one block with cool water & the other with slightly warmer water is better than cooling both with half as much cool water.

DeViL_909 said:
Well you could run into the problem that the air could heat up enough that the air possible could heat the watter in the second rad.
I don't see how that could happen. In the worst case scenario, the air and water leaving the first rad will be at the same temp. In that case, the second rad would provide no cooling, but could not heat the water back up. And having such complete heat transfer in the first rad seems pretty unlikely as well. Obviously, having fresh air into both rads is best, but I don't believe a second can hurt you unless your water flow drops too low.

Back