• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pretty white boxes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Caretaker

Registered
I have a really annoying problem!
If I am in a window and I click on a link and then that opens another window all I ever get now is a white window that just sits there! it might show the progress bar refreshing but it never goes to it. it was about the time that this started to happen that my quick launch started to dissapear on bootup! I know it's the thing on the end of your leg! but somethings a foot guy's!
Any help would be brilliant.

or get firefox, several UK comp mags are actively suggesting this (PC Forrmat for one)

I have used firefox as a direct replacement for explorer for monyhs and have used Opera in the past and have had no probs at all booth are more secure than explorer
and while you are at it dump outlook and get a repalcement, I personally use Eudora with no probs again is more secure than Micosoft installed alternatives

had exactly same prob could solve it tried uninstall/install routine nothing worked so binned IE and outlook at same time no probs or regrets

or get firefox, several UK comp mags are actively suggesting this (PC Forrmat for one)

I have used firefox as a direct replacement for explorer for months and have used Opera in the past and have had no probs at all both are more secure than explorer
and while you are at it dump outlook and get a repalcement, I personally use Eudora with no probs again is more secure than Micosoft installed alternatives

had exactly same prob could solve it tried uninstall/install routine nothing worked so binned IE and outlook at same time no probs or regrets

You didn't mention which OS or version of IE you're using, but if IE is version 5.5 or later I would try this...Go to My Computer | View | Folder options | File types (or Control Panel | Folder options, depending on your OS). Scroll down to...URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocols, click "edit" twice and make sure the following is in the Application used to perform action box:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome

The same applies for URL:Gopher

"DDE" should be set to: "%1",,-1,0,,,,
"Application" should say: IExplore
"DDE application not running" should be blank
"Topic" should be: WWW_OpenURL

Run the following commands from Start | Run (each command line listed below registers that particular *.dll). Run each line individually...after each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful.

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll (after running this command, check to see if the links work properly in IE...if so, there's no need to register the remaining *.dll's)

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll (only applicable to WinME/Win2000/XP - if using an earlier OS, run regsvr32 shdoc401.dll)
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

Last edited:
Redduc900, you are God among men, thanks for help.
I would gladly give you my first born son (but he's now 6ft tall and a dread locked, long boarder, sorry) thanks for you help.
The Caretaker

Back