• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lockout the start menu in guest account in XP Pro???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

patrickholliway

Registered
I have tried to look through a few threads to see if there was anything posted, but I need to know how to lockout the start menu from a guest account and make it accessible by the administrator only. I have 250 student laptops that use an active desktop tool for their class and I need to heavily restrict their access to everything else. Any suggestions??? Oh yeah, its in XP Pro.

Thanks,

Patrick Holliway

The only thing I can think of offhand is possibly changing the permissions or set "Read Only" the "C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\ntuser.dat" file, corresponding to the particular guest account (be careful with this...I've never personally modified the NTuser.dat file, so I can't verify it works). I don't think there's a way of locking out the Start Menu for only the Guest account, using either the Group Policy Editor or Local Security Policy. BTW, NTuser.dat (and its backup NTuser.bak) are the part of the Registry relating to your account...it's loaded by the system when you logon.

Last edited:
Back