• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Review between the swifttech 650 and the D4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seaborn

I have one of each of these and I thought this was worthy of passing along. I have tested the two pumps side by side with nothing in the loop but the res.

I have found that the D4 has an extremly higher pressure and flowrate. This is not a scientific study and may be that I may just have gotten a bad pump from swiftech but the difference is very noticeable. I did test them with the same voltage and such.

I am under the impression that they are the same pump, but just carry different names as they both have the same specs.

Anyone else notice this.

MVC-338S.jpg

This is the swifttech
MVC-339S.jpg

This is the D4

Last edited:
they are the same pump. unless u got one of the older non-muffled D4 pumps, they are all the same now. i believe swifty is the sole distributor for Laing in the US and thats where dangerden and everyone else gets their pumps. only swifty relables theirs. all should be the muffled version now.

Well thats cool. But then again I guess there is a chance of getting ones that are less powerful. Both of these pics are after them running for 10 minutes.

Not to mention the fact that there can be 5% or so variance from pump to pump... the DD might happen to just be on the higher end. sn_85 is correct though, they are the same pumps. What is the date of Mfgr. on each pump? If it is 06/04 or later they are most likely muffled.

hmm interesting pics anyways. i was unaware they were the same pump. all this time i thought the swifty was a little less powerful than the D4

Actually couldn't you get the D4 with 3/4 inch barbs? Maybe the Swiftech has 1/2" and the D4 has 3/4". That could make a bit of a flowrate difference. I dunno. Just a thought.

I am under the impression that you have one of the older DD 12 v pumps.

If so, then the Swiftech MCP650 should be the muffled version with lower specs than the original D4. Which is why DangerDen had to give out new data on their "new shipment of D4s". Good choice since the flow rate doesn't look too bad if the noise levels are considerable better.

Are there noticeable sound differences between the MCP650 and the D4? If they sound exactly the same... then I'm stumped.

ZachM said:
Actually couldn't you get the D4 with 3/4 inch barbs? Maybe the Swiftech has 1/2" and the D4 has 3/4". That could make a bit of a flowrate difference. I dunno. Just a thought.
I have the DD 3/4 version, but have not yet gotten down to testing it. I do not believe however that it will make a noticable difference (not to the naked eye I dont think). It is a bit less restrictive but, I have to fit a reducer in the loop somewhere because of it.

I will report observations, and pics when I get all moved into school again.

SenC.

Back