• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Norton Ghost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VisEtVirtus

Ok, sorry if this has been answered before.

I'm upgrading to a new mobo and don't want to go through all the troubles of reinstalling and entering the CD-Keys for all my firewall and anti-virus software. If I use Norton Ghost 2003 to make a copy of my hard drive, will the image of my hard drive contain the drivers and such for my old mobo? Or can I just make a copy of a few select files only?

What I really want to know is if I use Norton Ghost to copy my hard drive. Will the drivers from my old motherboard mess with the drivers for my new one? Thats all I want to know.

most likely you will not be able to boot off of the hd on the new mobo.

I had this same issue, and my mobo definitely did not work with the old drivers in place. I had to completely reformat my hard drive. With some planning you can avoid this. Check out arstechnica's forum, they have a sticky (its under the old stickies) in the cpu and mobo section about changing mobos without having to reformat or anything. (My mobo died, so I couldn't prepare.)

If you are running Win XP, you can use the "repair install" option when you replace the motherboard. Windows will automatically detect and "repair" any drivers that are incompatible with the new mobo. Afterwards you will need to install the mobo drivers that come with the mobo.

JimmyG said:
If you are running Win XP, you can use the "repair install" option when you replace the motherboard. Windows will automatically detect and "repair" any drivers that are incompatible with the new mobo. Afterwards you will need to install the mobo drivers that come with the mobo.
I just figured this out for myself a few days ago. I wish that I had figured it out a lot sooner so that I could have avoided the total reinstallation procedure where you have to reisntall everything, every game, every piece of software, you know the 2 day job when you are on a 28.8 connection to the internet like myself. :bang head

How does Ghost manage this situation? I can image a server for example using Ghost, and then place that image onto new hardware? The box in question is a DELL PE 2300 SMP and want to jump up to dual core.

This happens to be a DC, I also want to try this with our mail server if it is doable.

You can use Sysprep to 'reseal' the drive so that the hardware will be redetected on the first bootup on the new system.

First, get your old image the way you want it. Then run Sysprep (for XP or 2000, get the version you need) and click the Reseal button.

Power off, boot with a Ghost boot disk and clone the drives.

Put the new drive in the new computer, boot with it, follow the on screen prompts, and it should redetect all the hardware as if it was a new Windows installation. All your installed programs and registry settings should remain the same.

After going over the Sysprep documentation I'm not entirely sure that it will accomodate what we want to do which is:

Copy an existing Member/Web/Exchange/File server in full onto new hardware so it acts like nothing ever happened. Sysprep seems to write unique SID's onto the prep image and apparently is not fully capable of carrying over AD reliant server applications.

Basically I'm looking for any and all experiences with this type of OS re-location, hopefully successful one's :)

A couple of questions:

Do I need Sysprep at all? Ghost won't do this on it's own? Enterprise version maybe?

What about hardware profiles? Could I create a new profile, image it, clone onto the new box, then boot the new profile to install systems drivers ect?

Back